What are you doing to make your 2WD more capable?

• HTML tutorial

Drebin561

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lake Worth, FL, USA
First Name
Javier
Last Name
Jimenez
Member #

Hey y’all! So I’m rocking a 2017 Ford Escape fwd my plans as my tires wear down are to replace them with the falken wildpeak trail AT. There’s also a HR spring lift I’ve been eyeing that’ll bring 1.4 to the front and .8 to the rear. Outside of that not much more can be done imo so I’ll focus on cargo and get a roof rack thrown on her.

Scott_Milk

Rank IV
Launch Member

Explorer I

Rotorua, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
First Name
Jacob
Last Name
Kelley
Member #

I got an 04 2WD Tundra that I lightly wheeled for a few years and got to know how it handles very well. I know its limits and exactly how to handle it in so many situations. I had gotten it stuck a few times in snow/ice or sand. Thankfully there was someone there to pull me out, but maybe a year ago I built myself a bumper that could take a winch in it. (I like fabrication work) My idea was that if I did get stuck somewhere, I could get myself out. Even if I had a rear locker, or 4WD full locked for that matter, I could still get unstuck in all but the most extreme cases. I also have A/T tires (1 size bigger than stock) and a 2 inch leveling kit on it which gives me a little clearance up front but I know that my lowest point is my rear differential. I can get to 90% of the places I want to off road with this setup.

I'm considering a rear locker, maybe lunch box style locker but I'm concerned about the ratcheting noises on the street. I've heard the Powertrax lockers don't make ratchet noise but I have seen so little about them I don't feel well informed enough to buy it yet.

Reactions: Relic6.3

Brassmonkey

Rank 0
Launch Member

Contributor I

I got an 04 2WD Tundra that I lightly wheeled for a few years and got to know how it handles very well. I know its limits and exactly how to handle it in so many situations. I had gotten it stuck a few times in snow/ice or sand. Thankfully there was someone there to pull me out, but maybe a year ago I built myself a bumper that could take a winch in it. (I like fabrication work) My idea was that if I did get stuck somewhere, I could get myself out. Even if I had a rear locker, or 4WD full locked for that matter, I could still get unstuck in all but the most extreme cases. I also have A/T tires (1 size bigger than stock) and a 2 inch leveling kit on it which gives me a little clearance up front but I know that my lowest point is my rear differential. I can get to 90% of the places I want to off road with this setup.

I'm considering a rear locker, maybe lunch box style locker but I'm concerned about the ratcheting noises on the street. I've heard the Powertrax lockers don't make ratchet noise but I have seen so little about them I don't feel well informed enough to buy it yet.
If an auto locker is what you want, maybe a Torsen style locker like a Detroit Truetrac. It has helical gears instead of the ratcheting action of lunchbox lockers. Would require more investment due to the install.

Reactions: Scott_Milk

Pathkiller

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Effingham, South Carolina, USA
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Cox
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
NA
Lockers, lift and under body protection.
One of the first trucks I ever used in off road situations was a 68 Jeep 2wd pick up with three on the tree. (Good mud tires went a long way in helping it navigate the plowed fields and muddy roads on our family farm.)

BAJA - PRO

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Veronica
Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS-WRYZ566
The things I did and carried onboard to make my former 2006 2wd Tundra w/LSD to increase its off-road capability were:
BFG all-terrain tires
Front leveling kit
Recovery Boards
Air Compressor/ Jump starter
Comm radio
Tow strap
Tree Strap
Soft and rigid shackles
Farm Jack/chain for winching
Mechanics Tools
Shovel
Axe
Machete.
In addition to other items

I wont say that I didnt get stuck because I did but, I can say that I had the equipment to eventually get myself unstuck. Lol!

DintDobbs

Rank IV

Advocate II

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@BAJA Phill Your little list of recommendations would be wise to keep in any vehicle, 2WD or 4WD. Personally I'm not a fan of recovery boards, but they're extremely useful in some situations, such as when there is no large object in reach of a winch, or if your vehicle has no winch equipped.

The Hi-Lift or similar utility jack is a nice tool to bring along because it serves a dual purpose, but make sure every thing in that line is strong, secured well, and in good condition. Snapping straps with metal D-rings attached are good skull crackers and can kill you in a second.