What’s the best 4Runner for overlanding?

• HTML tutorial

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

@diabetiktaco
If you want an aftermarket lift sometimes it's better to start with an SR5 and add features than pay for the OffRoad just to remove and sell off the Suspension. Will depend a lot on your dealer/sales person and if they will let you à la carte a configuration or not. When I was considering between a new Tacoma or a 5th gen 4runner It was possible to save about $3000-3500 if you were willing to take SR5 badges/color over TRDOR ones and get the aftermarket suspension with other bells basically equal.

Ended up they got a very low mile 4th gen with V8 traded in while I was talking to them. So I went with the V8 :D and put on the same aftermarket suspension I was going to go with anyway. saved $15k instead.

Boort
Yup. That was my point to the question. Lifting a 4runner doesn't matter based off of trim level. It's where you want to go, etc. I've got a tacoma TRD sport w/ no locker. It's lifted on 32" tires. I've yet to wish I had a locker in the rear. At some point I'm sure it'll come in handy but I've been good so far. I think lockers are great, A trac is great, etc. But it's all overkill. Basic is better. Less stuff to break.

Reactions: Boort

XxJDOGxX

Rank IV
Launch Member

Steward III

Auburn, CA, USA
First Name
Jade
Last Name
Sotelo
Member #

Hi fam,

I’m trying to get my first rig for overlanding but have no idea if I should get a 4Runner SR5, TRD or TRD Pro.

Any thoughts?

I appreciate it!
I was considering the same thing when shopping for my rig. I was deciding between the TRD Offroad or the PRO and what it came down to for me was what I wanted to add and change regarding suspension; rock sliders vs steps; roof rack vs Toyota rack; and the little bells and whistles the PRO has like seat warmers ect. ect.

You also have to account for that PROS are usually an extra 12K-15K in price. I used that to make my decision with the OFF ROAD because I would use the extra money I didn't spend on the PRO to out into upgrades I specifically wanted on my rig.

Definitely look into the specs between both rigs and also maybe start researching which route you want to take your rig regarding upgrades and additions you want to make. That will make your decision so much easier.

In my opinion which doesn't really mean much except to me because everyones different, but I wouldn't go to the SR5 because I prefer the hard shift control vs the spin dial the SR5 has. Also with the OFF Road and the Pro you have rear lockers and terrain selectors. But that just makes life so much easier! Hope this helped message me if you have anymore questions.

Reactions: Boort

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

What's adding a lift have to do w/ the Off road? You can lift an SR5 just as easy and add a rear locker for what you save over the premium package.
Maybe I didn’t express myself properly.

Of course you can lift and SR5 too.
I just meant that a budget is a concern, just get the SR5 and build on top of that.
If you got $$$ but arent planning any mod, the TRD Pro is great.
If you plan to add lift AND you can spend a bit more my recommendation was get a off road instead because is more capable than SR5.

Wildcard

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

West Grove, PA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Lindsay
Member #

SR5 or Offroad depending on if you want the extra controls of the off-road. It depends on where you want to go. Unless you are leaving the PRO stock, it is not worth the money to me. If you do any lift to it, you have basically thrown out what made it special. I had a 2018 Offroad Premium with KDSS that worked great with a set of 265/70/17 all-terrains and went most places no problem. When I got into an accident, I got a 19 Offroad premium again, but this time lifted it with a BP-51 suspension and a set of MTs. It just goes and is a blast off-road. You get all the great mechanical and electrical things of the PRO, but then get to choose what suspension you want to run and how big. I have 3 boys and we can camp and tent on the roof no problem. Its all about your vision and where you want to go.

Brett L.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Long Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Brett
Last Name
LaForest
Member #

I ended up going with the TRD Pro because it comes from the factory ready to go. My '19 came with Fox shocks with rear remote reservoirs, a 1" lift in the front, and decent off-road ready tires. I had no plans on immediately ripping the stock suspension out and replacing it so the Pro was what I felt was right for me. I also liked the styling of the front on the Pro compared to the other versions. There are definitely cheaper ways to get in to a 4Runner but I'm happy with my decision.

Reactions: Wildcard