Water?

• HTML tutorial

Zaq

Rank III

Advocate II

Hey all, probably a pretty noobish question here, but planning my first big trip west, which can be seen here, https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/index.php?threads/3501/ , if you want in that mess.
Anyways, just got to thinking of something silly, I have a water jug for the trip. Okay, where does everyone fill theirs at? I plan on using it mainly just for cleaning dishes, myself, etc. Probably not for drinking. So, where are good places to fill up? I may get a second, so I'd have about 14 gallons or something like that...

Probably a simple easy answer im over looking.

Thanks!
-Zaq

Sent from my SM-G928V using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Luis Merlo

dblack

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sherwood Park, AB
Member #

The odd Gas station sometimes has a free water source. As in a hose for easy fills, but I wouldn't count on it being potable.

Campgrounds are a good source too. They may charge you but it won't be much.

Failing that, most groceries stores sell it.

I carry a flat of bottled drinking water then fill a 5 gallon jug as needed.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
In AZ there are water stores. They can fill tanks. Parks/campgrounds as previously mentioned including private RV parks. Most places that offer "camping" for RVs will have water.

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
$70-$100 can get you a decent filtration system that uses gravity and will fill a 5 gallon jug from a stream fairly expediently.

You can use an MSR dromedary bags, some rubber tubing, and a Sawyer Mini. Put the bag into the stream to fill it, stick the other tube end into your Jerry, with the Sawyer mini in - line as closely to the "clean" end as possible, and hang the Dromedary on a tree or roof Rack. The higher you can get it the quicker it will filter.

This is, obviously, not as effective in the desert :D for that, most places like restaurants and gas stations have a janitor closet with a tap for filling mop buckets and it usually has ample clearance for a Jerry can. Very few will turn you away if you ask nicely.

Sent from my BBA100-1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jeff Graham

LostInSocal

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chino Hills, CA, US
Member #

I usually frequent gas stations for potable water. Camp sites have allowed me to fill up also. As @irwonjackwhitton has suggested with the filtration system, I plan to start carrying mine on specific trips. Generally, water hasn't been the major concern compared to other considerations (for me it is fuel).

Username Not Found

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oceanside, CA
Member #

I usually frequent gas stations for potable water. Camp sites have allowed me to fill up also. As @irwonjackwhitton has suggested with the filtration system, I plan to start carrying mine on specific trips. Generally, water hasn't been the major concern compared to other considerations (for me it is fuel).
I agree. Water, in the United States at least, is easy to come by. I have my 5 Gal water scepter can, my solar shower that holds 4+ gallons, my 3L camelbak and my water purifier. When I need to fill up, and I'm near a town, I just stop at a local supermarket and use the filtered water dispenser that they have outside. (The ones that cost $1 for 5 gallons.) If I'm in the boondocks, and I'm in dire need, then I break out the hand pump filter. But for the most part, my 10 gallons will last me and the fam a few days without issue.