Jack
Last Name
Blair
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7TCO
Service Branch
Army
Hey folks, dropping a video here showing our install of our new camp kitchen and drawer system setup with the RedArc BCDC1225 running a dual battery 200AH setup. It's been a great addition to the rig and I'm loving all of the organizational options it gives me.

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Explorer I

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

Nice looking set up. Sure looks like it makes things more convenient and accessible.

coscooper

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Littleton, CO, USA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Cooper
Looking to build something similar for my JKU. I'm investigating using electric cooktop vs gas to minimize tanks, hoses and hassle. Considering very similar electrical system in a custom built box as well. Really like that setup!

@Cap'n Jack - how hard on the batteries (electric system in general) is that cooktop you have in your kitchen slide? How quickly do you need to recharge? Last - what cooktop unit was that you're using?
Thanks

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Any electric stove will have a huge current draw, very impractical for camping. If you were running a 2000w inverter you would probably be drawing around 140-150 Amps which would take down a good sized deep cycle in a few minutes with a 1800w single burner. An induction stove will draw more.

coscooper

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Littleton, CO, USA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Cooper
Any electric stove will have a huge current draw, very impractical for camping. If you were running a 2000w inverter you would probably be drawing around 140-150 Amps which would take down a good sized deep cycle in a few minutes with a 1800w single burner. An induction stove will draw more.
This is exactly what my son said. He's an aerospace engineer focused on electrical engineering for satellites. His advice was same, Do not consider it, which is why i was curious about this thread and Capn Jacks setup.

Still leaning towards propane. 8-)

Thanks,

Reactions: Flipper

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

That sounds like a cool job. Retired Broadcast Engineer here. We shot all the GPS Sat launches at Canaveral you would see on the morning news years back. Small world…
We went with a compact microwave and a George Foreman Grill. A microwave will draw twice the power the unit is advertised at. So my 400w GE microwave takes 800w to run so it draws around 60Amps same specs with the George @ 760W. We don’t use the micro for long time cooking. We pack precooked meals like Chile, BBQ then just a minute or two in the MW to reheat. Long cooking on the George we will use on shore power or the generator. Makita, the power tool co. Just came out with a portable Microwave.
Yep, when th MW is running you can literally watch the voltmeter do a nose dive, lol. Powered by 2 group 31 AGMs w/ a 2K PSW inverter.586352CB-8F72-4CA0-80FA-F76532A5FA83.jpeg9C472E4E-68B8-4B66-9EA0-5093C871D0AC.jpeg

Reactions: coscooper

coscooper

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Littleton, CO, USA
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Cooper
That sounds like a cool job. Retired Broadcast Engineer here. We shot all the GPS Sat launches at Canaveral you would see on the morning news years back. Small world…
We went with a compact microwave and a George Foreman Grill. A microwave will draw twice the power the unit is advertised at. So my 400w GE microwave takes 800w to run so it draws around 60Amps same specs with the George @ 760W. We don’t use the micro for long time cooking. We pack precooked meals like Chile, BBQ then just a minute or two in the MW to reheat. Long cooking on the George we will use on shore power or the generator. Makita, the power tool co. Just came out with a portable Microwave.
Yep, when th MW is running you can literally watch the voltmeter do a nose dive, lol. Powered by 2 group 31 AGMs w/ a 2K PSW inverter.View attachment 254475View attachment 254476
Awesome! He does have a very cool job. Small world for sure. My son started on the GPS III project and was at the first 3 launches at the cape, so you probably shot those launches. He’s moved to new project, but still supports GPS. We blame him when our maps don’t work. He’s a Jeeper too.

I’d love to use more electric, but cooking sounds challenging. So we’ll go with a mix. I’m starting my kitchen build this weekend.

Reactions: Flipper