Waking up on the edge of the Grand Canyon?

• HTML tutorial

gtoombs

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Austin, TX 78721
Member #

Hey y'all - My bird and I will be taking off from Palm Springs, CA - heading east to Austin, TX over the New Year. We want to wake up on the edge of the Grand Canyon. Any recommended routes or trails around the Grand Canyon that will allow this? We have a stock '14 4runner SR5. So not looking for huge endeavors at the moment, but not afraid to test her stuff!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

FireMedicPQ1

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5PCB
We are planning a trip this spring to the North Rim. Lots of opportunities to camp right next to the edge. However, given that it will be winter, you may not be able to get through. They get a LOT of snow along the Canyon rim. I am unsure if you could get through some of the forest roads. Might be worth checking out though. Beautiful country.

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

If you head toward Austin, maybe you should stop in Big Bend instead. It's awesome this time of year and most vehicles can make it all over the parks.
The National Park and the State Park are both right there. The National park has more amenities and the State Park has nicer rangers, less people, better wheeling and camping.
Just a suggestion if you need your outdoor fix on the way there.

gtoombs

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Austin, TX 78721
Member #

If you head toward Austin, maybe you should stop in Big Bend instead. It's awesome this time of year and most vehicles can make it all over the parks.
The National Park and the State Park are both right there. The National park has more amenities and the State Park has nicer rangers, less people, better wheeling and camping.
Just a suggestion if you need your outdoor fix on the way there.
I think Big Bend and Coronado National Forest are where we will be headed instead. We are traveling with dogs too, so that adds another layer of complexity. How cold is Big Bend this time of year typically? I would guess it’s freezing or below overnight?

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

TXpedition

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

Man, I am so sorry I didn't reply sooner. December was busy for me and I didn't log into OB forums for a month or more now.
So yeah, it's cold at night but usually nice during the day. I hear this year it was pretty darn cold. We even dropped down below freezing here in DFW.
Did you get to visit? How was your trip?

gtoombs

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Austin, TX 78721
Member #

Man, I am so sorry I didn't reply sooner. December was busy for me and I didn't log into OB forums for a month or more now.
So yeah, it's cold at night but usually nice during the day. I hear this year it was pretty darn cold. We even dropped down below freezing here in DFW.
Did you get to visit? How was your trip?
No worries man!

We actually journeyed down the Mojave Trail, did the whole thing from Baker, Ca into Nevada. It was fantastic. Got down to about 36° at night, not too bad in the RTT.

We need to get a central Texas meetup or trail day soon. Itching to meet some more overlanders.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk