Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

try marinating it in Coke for an hour or so. Coke made with pure cane sugar works best. We do that a lot with backstrap and the Coke helps break down the fiber. Another way is to sear it then wrap it in foil with peppers, onions, etc with a little olive oil. Good luck!

*Edit: I forgot about one of favorite ways to do a backstrap or tenderloin: Espresso rubbed
I rub the piece of venison with ancho powder and brown sugar, dredge it in coarse ground espresso and a little coarse ground black pepper after you take it off the grill. There are a ton of recipes on the web for espresso rubbed venison.

Last edited:

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

Susie q’s Santa Maria seasoning, hot grill, rare. I like 125-130 degrees internal temperature myself.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
Cut my deer steaks thin wrap in tin foil. And cook them in the engine on long drives. Crusty bread and hot coffee , On my. Fire pit cut thick well hung And seasoned , Tried every thing from spicey to sweet. I find wild game tastes better simpley cooked and rare. Old bucks marinated longer the better , Or stews

Reactions: 64Trvlr

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I ground up my last one. I'll take the patties, cover with steak seasoning and pan fry. Once that is done put a slice of cheese on top and between two slices of toast with Stubbs bbq sauce.

blackntan

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
I ground up my last one. I'll take the patties, cover with steak seasoning and pan fry. Once that is done put a slice of cheese on top and between two slices of toast with Stubbs bbq sauce.
Forgot burgers Smokey slow cured bacon and a strong cheese Mmmmmmmmm

Reactions: JPM78130

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Forgot burgers Smokey slow cured bacon and a strong cheese Mmmmmmmmm
When I get the opportunities to shoot a feral pig, I mix that with the deer and chop up some onions, pablamo peppers, serrano peppers, garlic, salt and pepper. Add an egg to the mix to hold it all together and it makes a really good burger.

JPM78130

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

When I get the opportunities to shoot a feral pig, I mix that with the deer and chop up some onions, pablamo peppers, serrano peppers, garlic, salt and pepper. Add an egg to the mix to hold it all together and it makes a really good burger.
We'll do this too. My parents have a smokehouse, so my son and I will try to make 15 or so pounds of sausage when the weather is cold and dry enough whatever we have left over that we don't add cure to, we'll use it to make patties. We'll typically smoke about 30lbs of venison jerky and freeze some of it. It's great for taking camping, fishing, hunting, etc.

JPM78130

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New Braunfels, TX
First Name
Joe
Last Name
McGlothlin
Member #

I brine my venison steaks (round steak or tenderloins) over night, then season w\homemade rub: ancho chili coffee rub. I grill (charcoal & mesquite chunks) over high heat for a 4 minutes on each side which comes out medium rare & juicy.
Lately I've been buying ancho powder in bulk and putting it on just about all proteins. Ancho and espresso is hard to beat.

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
If I'm cooking venison (elk or deer) over a fire all I do is let it warm to room or outside temperature rub coarse salt and pepper in and grill it medium rare.

Otherwise I mix it with potatoes, onions, peppers and whatever else is handy and cook it. Then either roll it in tortillas or just eat it off a plate.

Reactions: velo47