Valley of the Moon this week? Would you be concerned about high wind warning?

• HTML tutorial

editjames

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Venice, CA
First Name
James
Last Name
Dierx
I imagine it gets pretty windy up there. I'm seeing a lot of windmills in the area. I was planning on heading up tomorrow and camping for 2 days. I have a kodiak canvas tent that should hold up pretty well in 20mph wind. Am I insane for thinking this is a good idea? I'd be going by myself in a JLU. The road doesn't look that bad to get in, I'm not planning on doing the jeep trail to get there. I plan on doing the easier trail.

It was either this or BLM land near Anza Borrego but I'm not familiar with that area. Any tips for there that wouldn't be camping in a wash? Looks like they are getting rain today!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Around here high wind warnings start at about 50mph probably a half dozen times a year and we regularly see at least one event over 100mph every year. I remember a line of about 50 semi trucks parked on the side of I25 north of Fort Collins. Parked is a misnomer. They were parked, when I saw them, they were all laying on their sides.

Needless to say we build our houses and fences a bit more strong than most areas.