Uwharrie National Forrest Searching for BigFoot!

• HTML tutorial

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
What a nice trip after Expo East to take the long road back to Florida and hit Uwharrie for some good wheeling and some really nice overlooks. We camped right near the trail head of Dickey Bell 91 for a couple days so we could check out the entire Forrest! It was pretty cool trying to search for Sasquatch through Daniel 390 and even some of the non marked paths we took and mapped out with Gaia. It was a nice getaway to disconnect and just appreciate how gorgeous life and the scenery was. There’s one thing I’ve definitely learned is that adventure is necessary no matter how long or short it may be. The rig “Ashley” she handled everything pretty amazing, we lost a couple pins to our front disconnects while the were off but in true overland fashion made a trail fix using some hitch pins from the Outpost store a few miles into town. The Forrest had some amazing rocks and pucker points trying to pick a right line that would get us to and from since we still had to drive her back home. I’d definitely like to get back and spend some more money time checking out the old mines in the oldest mountains in America and and who know maybe get lucky and find big foot out there. Has anyone been out to Uwharrie? What did you guys do or would do again? I’d love to plan a trip in spring or late winter. Hope you guys like the pics, the trip was awesome! Love to hear of other places in the area or even at Uwharrie you guys have wheeled or explored. This trip was a solo trip next trip out want to take my kids with me. IMG_9185.JPGIMG_8915.JPGIMG_8920.JPGIMG_8933.JPGIMG_9153.JPGIMG_9154.JPGIMG_9140.JPG
IMG_9163.JPG
IMG_9158.JPG IMG_9178.JPG

Contributor II

Mount Holly, NC
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Giszczak
Very cool. Would you be able to share the map from Gaia? We were looking at checking out Uwharrie but haven't found much on it. looks like most people head to pisgah.

Nice pictures as well!

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Very cool. Would you be able to share the map from Gaia? We were looking at checking out Uwharrie but haven't found much on it. looks like most people head to pisgah.

Nice pictures as well!
Jeff absolutely, I attached it here just now. If you go to the thread of the overland bound routes I also posted it there. It was pretty technical and challenging I wont mislead you on that but it was prob some of the best wheeling we've done in a while. We really had to focus on picking a right line and knowing what the rig could handle but she pulled it through like a crawling champ lol

GPX viewer

Attachments

Reactions: BamSilverado15

Contributor II

Mount Holly, NC
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Giszczak
Jeff absolutely, I attached it here just now. If you go to the thread of the overland bound routes I also posted it there. It was pretty technical and challenging I wont mislead you on that but it was prob some of the best wheeling we've done in a while. We really had to focus on picking a right line and knowing what the rig could handle but she pulled it through like a crawling champ lol

GPX viewer
That's awesome. Might have to work out way up to that and maybe not with my truck. lol. Hope to check it out soon! Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: SinisterJK

SinisterJK

Rank VI
Launch Member

Educator I

Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
That's awesome. Might have to work out way up to that and maybe not with my truck. lol. Hope to check it out soon! Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure! The other trails at Uwharrie were pretty awesome even the difficult trails were a breeze nothing bad at all. This one definitely with a full sized rig you may have to pick a different line than what we ran up and down with. The worst part is when your going down we asked ourselves WTF someone carved a cubby into the mountain big enough to hide a jeep. Few moments later we noticed Shit where did the trail go. You have to pull a crazy 6 Point turn with nothing but drop on the side into the forest to keep on the trail. I marked that crazy turn on my GPX file cause it sneaks up on you super quick and out of the blue on the way down and your left Hmmmmmmm how did I get off course here till you jump out the rig and see the way it heads down. Fun times you'll do great on all the other trails. We saw Landrovers doing most of the other trails even so fullsized should do ok