Rank II

Enthusiast I

PA, USA
First Name
Dominic
Last Name
C
Member #

Hello! I'm starting to plan our family road trip and wanted to get some ideas form the community on some route tips, and suggestions. We will be traveling in a well equipped Jeep Gladiator, and our Escapod trailer (actually picking it up on the way to Moab!) We will be In Moab, UT for about a week, then are planning to camp "Overland" our way back. Or at least through Utah and Colorado. We will have 7-8 days to get back to our home state of Pennsylvania. Below are some of the routes I would like to hit, but would love some ideas of connecting some of the destinations to stay off the highway whenever possible. Once we pass into Colorado via the Rimrocker is where I'm looking for the most effective way to cover this territory. Thanks!

Rimrocker trail to Montrose, CO
Imogene Pass to Telluride, CO
Possibly back up to Crested Butte via Kebler pass
Buena Vista, CO
Time permitting something around Garden of the Gods/ Colorado Springs

Last edited:

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hello! I'm starting to plan our family road trip and wanted to get some ideas form the community on some route tips, and suggestions. We will be traveling in a well equipped Jeep Gladiator, and our Escapod trailer (actually picking it up on the way to Moab!) We will be In Moab, UT for about a week, then are planning to camp "Overland" our way back. Or at least through Utah and Colorado. We will have 7-8 days to get back to our home state of Pennsylvania. Below are some of the routes I would like to hit, but would love some ideas of connecting some of the destinations to stay off the highway whenever possible. Once we pass into Colorado via the Rimrocker is where I'm looking for the most effective way to cover this territory. Thanks!

Rimrocker trail to Montrose, CO
Imogene Pass to Telluride, CO
Possibly back up to Crested Butte via Kebler pass
Buena Vista, CO
Time permitting something around Garden of the Gods/ Colorado Springs
OK, this may go without saying, but keep in mind that Moab may be freakin' hot at that time.....so much so that if you don't have A/C or a really nice breeze it can be tough to sleep.

Rimrocker is a neat item to check off one's bucket list, but to be honest, the most remarkable thing about it is it's length. What I mean is that it's not nearly as grand as the trails you can do in both Moab and Ouray at each end. With a limited schedule, consider spending the 2 days you'd spend on Rimrocker and just drive straight to Ouray and do other trails such as Ophir, Corkscrew, Hurricane, California, Engineer, Cinnamon, Stony, etc. If you're interested we could plot you a route to work your way through some of the best CO has to offer in that area. If you do stick with Rimrocker then afterwards look at doing Last Dollar Road south to Telluride and start Imogene there and take it over to Ouray. You could continue east working your way through the passes, but I realized you probably don't want to trailer all those passes. If not that you could easily do both Ophir and Imogene as a loop and end up back in Telluride for your trailer. Let me know what you think. There are so many options here. [EDIT: If you're parking the trailer, your idea of Imogene to Telluride would probably be best and then return via Ophir.]

It has been a long time since I've done Kebler so I don't have any feedback for you there.

What are you interested in doing in Buena Vista? We'll have the 3rd Annual June Jam there earlier and June so I know a little about the area. It's not as amazing as Ouray and we mainly use it as an early season destination before the aforementioned 4wd roads open each year.

Garden of the Gods is a really neat attraction to be so close to Colorado Springs, but having just come from Moab you probably won't be all that impressed.

Having moved here myself from the east, one thing that took some getting used to was just how big these western states are. Put a mountain range down the middle and you don't get anywhere in a hurry. I mention this because it's easy to burn up a lot of your time trying to travel between attractions because there is no direct route. Just keep this in mind while planning. Sometimes it's better to use that time to further explore an area that you already in instead of hastily embarking to another.

If you have any interest in meeting local members, we can try to arrange a meetup and run some trails and/or camp a night or so together. No hurt feelings if you're not interested. Just let us know how we can help.

D Boogie C

Rank II

Enthusiast I

PA, USA
First Name
Dominic
Last Name
C
Member #

@Neal A. Tew Wow. Thank you! We have been coming to Moab in the summer months for awhile now, this past summer being the 5th year in a row. The Rimrocker was really only brought into the equation because it could start in Moab and end in CO. I am definitely open to other options, and had planned on doing all this with the trailer so we could camp along the routes. But has you mentions it might be nice to stick around Ouray/ Tellride. We did Kebler pass on our way back from Fruita, CO 2 years ago, but didn't have time to camp along it. Being able to camp around Crested Butte would be the only reason I would want to try it again. I would be totally down to meet up with members, and again any help with routes would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

D Boogie C

Rank II

Enthusiast I

PA, USA
First Name
Dominic
Last Name
C
Member #

I would also like to add that mountain biking is the driving force of this trip (Moab included), so any locals to the areas who bike please hit me up!

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
@Neal A. Tew Wow. Thank you! We have been coming to Moab in the summer months for awhile now, this past summer being the 5th year in a row. The Rimrocker was really only brought into the equation because it could start in Moab and end in CO. I am definitely open to other options, and had planned on doing all this with the trailer so we could camp along the routes. But has you mentions it might be nice to stick around Ouray/ Tellride. We did Kebler pass on our way back from Fruita, CO 2 years ago, but didn't have time to camp along it. Being able to camp around Crested Butte would be the only reason I would want to try it again. I would be totally down to meet up with members, and again any help with routes would be greatly appreciated.
Just to help me judge your experience, what 4WD roads have you done around Moab?

If your goal is to break in the camper off-road as soon as possible, Rimrocker may be perfect for that in hindsight. The UT side is tight and rocky in places. I can think of one switchback that might give you trouble. I did follow a buddy through there on the maiden voyage with his trailer (which wasn't as rugged as yours) and he made it fine with his Jeep.

When base camping, I often camp around Ironton between Ouray and Silverton. There's a lot of camping there and it's fairly centrally located to the trails and attractions.

Did you have anything in particular you wanted to see around Buena Vista? I know that area is pretty popular with the MTB crowd as well. I was part of an event once where the 4WD group took bikes and riders up Mount Antero and dropped them off.

Once you get some dates we'll see what we can do to see if a meetup is feasible.

Also, are you familiar with the Trans America Trail?

D Boogie C

Rank II

Enthusiast I

PA, USA
First Name
Dominic
Last Name
C
Member #

Just to help me judge your experience, what 4WD roads have you done around Moab?

If your goal is to break in the camper off-road as soon as possible, Rimrocker may be perfect for that in hindsight. The UT side is tight and rocky in places. I can think of one switchback that might give you trouble. I did follow a buddy through there on the maiden voyage with his trailer (which wasn't as rugged as yours) and he made it fine with his Jeep.

When base camping, I often camp around Ironton between Ouray and Silverton. There's a lot of camping there and it's fairly centrally located to the trails and attractions.

Did you have anything in particular you wanted to see around Buena Vista? I know that area is pretty popular with the MTB crowd as well. I was part of an event once where the 4WD group took bikes and riders up Mount Antero and dropped them off.

Once you get some dates we'll see what we can do to see if a meetup is feasible.

Also, are you familiar with the Trans America Trail?
The only 4x4 trail I've done in Moab is Pucker Pass. Last year was the first time we brought our Jeep (JKU) west. I'm very interested in the Ouray area, and will definitely be checking out your recommended trails. I'm not new to the idea of overlanding or camping, we currently have a RTT, and rented a camper van this past summer in Moab. I guess my concern is finding remote camping spots with kind of a limited schedule, and if the Rimrocker would take too much time.
We briefly stopped in Buena Vista 2 years ago on our way to Leadville. And looking back on it we should have stayed and passed on Leadville IMO, so really just want to see the area. And yes, time permitting I thought the TMT would be a fun way to get through the central states.