Rank II

Enthusiast I

Danville, KY, USA
First Name
Kim
Last Name
Lawson
Member #

Would love to get some input from people more expert than myself. I've been following this company for
years. Its called AuraGen that is an under the hood generator that requires ZERO maintenance except for
a ball bearing at about 26,000 hours. Enough power to run an entire household and all its appliances.
The military, Firetrucks, large RV's use these frisbee size (maybe a little larger) generators and supposedly
the price is now affordable for the average customer.
Check it out.....Aura - About us (aurasystems.com)

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It's still 8x8". And if it runs off of my trucks engine, then it's useless to me.

Because my engines alternator can power everything needed for overlanding. Really, if we need more than 200 watts, we're doing something wrong.

This would be nice to power the AC of a camper. But not so much if I have to run my main engine.

Attach a little honda engine to the 5kw model and place it inside the camper, and maybe I can use it for AC.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Well... Can't see a use for it, honestly. There are a few companies that offer 6 phase high power alternators for almost every engine / vehicle application especially US domestic vehicles sometimes adapters and clutches to run a second one, that adds so much power that you charge your batteries within "minutes"
But sure for companies, organizations or military it's somewhat useful.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
That is quite a bit of power and you seem to need to keep your engine running. While I can totally see the military applications, I'm not sure, for myself, it would be practical. I have a couple SoGens now, one commercial (EB70) and one home built with a 200ah LiFePO4 batt bank,. I can charge either while driving or by Solar when camped. They provide (so far) all the power I need. I do like, however, the idea that power from my truck could run a couple of houses tho...

Reactions: MazeVX

kunstmilch

Rank V

Advocate II

Pomona, CA, USA
First Name
Erich
Last Name
Wise
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS call sign: WRFL229
Would love to get some input from people more expert than myself. I've been following this company for
years. Its called AuraGen that is an under the hood generator that requires ZERO maintenance except for
a ball bearing at about 26,000 hours. Enough power to run an entire household and all its appliances.
The military, Firetrucks, large RV's use these frisbee size (maybe a little larger) generators and supposedly
the price is now affordable for the average customer.
Check it out.....Aura - About us (aurasystems.com)
This is a cool find, I would like to see one at 1/2 size the small one, but I dig it, and am thinking about some applications on a remote property that would be cool. No idea on pricing though. As it is, and as people have pointed out, there are alternators (like the one I have installed) that has gobs of power.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
There are a few companies that offer 6 phase high power alternators for almost every engine
I run one of these. Mine is 250 amps @14v, 1900 rpm and puts out 130 at idle. In the case size I chose, I could go to 350 amp with almost 200 amp at idle. If i could fit a bigger case, the sky's the limit.

Looking at the website, their just alternators. The "radial" design they claim is common now because the old long narrow "generator" design isn't that efficient. I would like to see an actual picture of the stator, odds are it's a hairpin design which is what everyone runs now.

Last edited:

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I run one of these. Mine is 250 amps @14v, 1900 rpm and puts out 130 at idle. In the case size I chose, I could go to 350 amp with almost 200 amp at idle. If i could fit a bigger case, the sky's the limit.

Looking at the website, their just alternators. The "radial" design they claim is common now because the old long narrow "generator" design isn't that efficient. I would like to see an actual picture of the stator, odds are it's a hairpin design which is what everyone runs now.
I definitely would like to run one but haven't found one for mine. Unfortunately the diesel JK wasn't sold in the US and anybody else seems to not care about alternators, there simply is nothing I could buy.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I definitely would like to run one but haven't found one for mine. Unfortunately the diesel JK wasn't sold in the US and anybody else seems to not care about alternators, there simply is nothing I could buy.
That's too bad. Mines actually from a Tundra and modified to the hairpin design. Its a bit of a squeeze but it fits. My original was only 80 amp @ 2000 rpm.

Sequoia04KY

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Danville, KY, USA
First Name
Kim
Last Name
Lawson
Member #

This is a cool find, I would like to see one at 1/2 size the small one, but I dig it, and am thinking about some applications on a remote property that would be cool. No idea on pricing though. As it is, and as people have pointed out, there are alternators (like the one I have installed) that has gobs of power.
I know they have smaller units. I kind of pointed out the creme of the creme. But yeah....they have small ones. I watched this company for years.
I'm surprised they haven't surged in the market. But they are a viable source and they fit underneath the hood of most vehicles.