• HTML tutorial

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

Hey everyone,

So we had a trip planned to Glacier this week but decided we wanted to do Utah last minute due to the weather. We wanted this to be a "Final Summer Getaway" type trip and Glacier is having some rain and snow right now so we decided last night to switch it up and head out to Utah.

That being said, wondering if I could get some recommendations on trails to check out while we are there. We are going to be camping and wondering if anyone has some recommendations for us to check out. Because we are so last minute any reservations needed are most likely taken by now and so if anyone could give us some friendly local knowledge that would be SO awesome!

We are thinking of hanging around the Boulder Mountain area as well as Moab area.

As a FYI My rig is a stock suspension 2017 4Runner with 285s. I have ran Poison Spider, Fins and Things and other like trails but those were all on my 2005 4runner with a lift.

12C20

Rank V
Launch Member

Trail Mechanic II

South Jordan, Salt Lake County, Utah, United States
First Name
John
Last Name
Ellis
Member #

If you're driving south through town, turn right at the McDonalds and keep the cliff/bluffs on your left as you head west and south.

Out past the trailhead to Moab Rim Trail are some nice little spots between the road and the Colorado River. I want to say it's called "King's Bottoms Campground" or something like that.

It has vault toilets, and its close enough to town that anything you'd need is easy to get.

The farther out that road you go, there are lots of spots - just a little more remote.

As far as trails go, in a stock rig, I'd look at the White Rim Trail. You'll need a permit, but I understand it's beautiful. I've not run it, but it's on my short list.

I wish I could be more helpful. Reach out to me if you need anything as you pass through Salt Lake City.

Have a great trip!

Reactions: A10MileHusker

A10MileHusker

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

West Slope, OR
Member #

If you're driving south through town, turn right at the McDonalds and keep the cliff/bluffs on your left as you head west and south.

Out past the trailhead to Moab Rim Trail are some nice little spots between the road and the Colorado River. I want to say it's called "King's Bottoms Campground" or something like that.

It has vault toilets, and its close enough to town that anything you'd need is easy to get.

The farther out that road you go, there are lots of spots - just a little more remote.

As far as trails go, in a stock rig, I'd look at the White Rim Trail. You'll need a permit, but I understand it's beautiful. I've not run it, but it's on my short list.

I wish I could be more helpful. Reach out to me if you need anything as you pass through Salt Lake City.

Have a great trip!
That's great advice! Thanks @12C20 Appreciate it and will definitely hit you up if we need anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I was just down there.

* Chicken Corners (Easy) won't challenge the rig but it is a very scenic trail over Hurrah Pass and then hugging the cliff over the river. Down and back trail easily accessible from town. Head down Main street and turn at the McDonalds (I think it is Kane Creek). Follow that street until it leaves town and starts to follow the river. From there follow the signs to Hurrah Pass and keep going until you physically can't drive any farther.

* Elephant Hill (Difficult, Pass required). This trail is in the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park. You need a day-use permit to use the trail, they can be purchased at the gate to the park, the visitor's center, or a maximum of 24 hours in advance online (https://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisit/dayusepermits.htm). The trail is difficult, I recommend sliders and skid plates. I do not recommend trying SOB hill in a 4Runner if you are alone unless you have a good spotter, are comfortable stacking cheat stones, and have a high-lift in case you get hung up. I attempted it in an Xterra, which is considerably shorter and narrower and had a very hard time. I hit my sliders, diff guard, and skid plates getting through. SOB Hill is on a side trail and is not a required obstacle. Your biggest challenge will probably be DuPont Narrows. I suggest a spotter here to keep you centered, there is a risk of body damage and even roof damage if you go too far to the right and tip left into the rock. From the main loop of Elephant hill, you can access a spur trail that takes you to a short hike to see the confluence of the Green and Colorado rivers. From this point you can see all three districts of Canyonlands National Park, The Maze to the west, Island in the Sky to the northeast, and the Needles District where you are standing.

To access the trail take 191 south out of Moab until you hit 211. This takes you past Newspaper Rock, be sure to stop and see it before going into Canyonlands. There is fuel at the Needles Outpost just inside the gate to the park. Fuel is $5 per gallon and they are closed on Sunday, it is the only fuel stop on this route from Moab. I carried a spare 5 gallon can but managed to make it back to Moab without needing to use it.

Don't let the pass put you off, on Labor Day Weekend we only saw two other vehicles on the trail, so passes were not hard to get. We purchased ours at midnight as soon as we could, but could have easily bought it at the gate when we arrived. Rangers will ask about how much water you are carrying, ensure you have a way to dispose of trash, and make sure you have seatbelts for everyone. There is a vault toilet at the trail head, the visitor's center, and at the trailhead for The Joint (past SOB Hill). The Joint Trailhead is the only restroom I know of once you get on the trail.

* 7 Mile Rim. I consider this to be a Moderate difficulty trail with some technical spots and one off-camber tippy bit. I don't have my book with me, so I'm doing the guide for this from memory. Take 191 north out of Moab past Arches and past the 313 junction (big tourist trap dinosaur attraction at this junction). About a half mile later there is a large gravel unloading area on the left side that can sneak up on you if you aren't looking for it. This is where you start and where I air down. Follow the dirt road that sort of parallels the highway for a bit, you will pass a trail that takes off to the left and looks promising as it appears to climb the mesa, this isn't your turn, keep going. The trail will eventually turn left at a dirt mound with a little-used trail going right. Stay left and begin a steep climb. Below you on the left is a popular spot for ATV and UTV guys to unload and set up a base camp. The trail climbs up the mesa and at the top you will start to notice white stripes marking the way. Follow the stripes and try to avoid using the illegal bypasses carved by ATV and UTV riders. This part of the trail is slow going but takes you to a fantastic overlook where you can see Arches National Park in the distance. Recently it has been smokey thanks to the fires, so the La Sal mountains might not be visible. As you continue along the mesa, you will see markings for Uranium Arch. It is worth a stop here to explore above and below the arch. The trails in the area around the arch can be a little confusing, to get back to the main trail, climb up the sliprock face near the roped off parking area at the base. This will T you back in to the main 7 Mile Rim trail. When you hit that T at the top, turn right and continue. Eventually you will exit the slickrock and hit a sandy section where you will find a trail intersection. Turn right and head towards the two large mesas that you have been approaching for the last several miles. These are The Monitor and The Merrimack, resembling the famous Civil War ironclads locked in eternal battle. Drive the sandy section, but beware of hidden whoops, UTVs have piled up some serious bumps that will toss you and the rig if hit too fast. You will climb up between the Monitor and Merrimack, follow the black rubber marks and the few white stripes. Angle towards the far side of the right mesa to find the trail again. The trail turns from the deep red stone to a lighter color, making routefinding easier as you can see the rubber from previous travelers. Head along the sandstone ridge and turn right to drop into a low section. Ahead is a climb up the slickrock with a ledge to mount, followed by a left turn and a tippy section that can be unsettling for some drivers. Go slow here and don't bounce on your suspension too much. After you turn left and nose-down to the hill, there will be a wide roped off area. Ahead is the optional down-and-back Wipeout Hill. This one is not recommended if you are alone; make a sharp 270 degree right hand turn and continue on the trail.

Ahead lies some technical down-hill stuff with sharp rocks. Often there are multiple routes, but some areas are being restored. Please try to stay on the main trail and avoid the bypasses when possible. A spotter may be necessary, but scouting some descents is a must. This will eventually drop you into a wash where you will likely find lush plant life and water on the road. At the end of this wash will be an option to turn left to head to Tusher Tunnel or right to take an easy route back to 191.

I recommend planning a full day for this trail to allow time to take photos and explore the area. This is a very scenic route and one that offers a lot of variety for both the driver and passengers.

Camping - There is camping in The Needles district, but it is pretty far away from most the trails. I recommend finding somewhere near to town. There is camping on Kane Creek headed to Chicken Corners and Hurrah Pass. The closer you are to town the more crowded it gets, but you also have more shelter. Weather Warning: These low campsites have been washed out by flash flood in the past! If weather is threatening I do not advice camping here. There are some managed and maintained campsites up 128 out of town, they are right along the river.

Water: Just north of town on the Moab side of the Colorado River, 128 follows the river east. Head up about 30-40 yards from the intersection and there is a paved turn out on the right hugging the cliff. Turn off here and park. At the east end, under a rock ledge is a freshwater spring. The water is safe to drink and a great place to fill up bottles and jugs, wash your face, and freshen up. I have been drinking the water from this spring for years and vouch for it. It is also the best tasting waster in town. I stop there every time I pass to rotate my water supply to keep it from tasting like stale containers.

Funtreks has an addon for Backcountry Navigator that has all their trails highlighted, making routfinding easy. Latitude 40 has some of the best topo maps of the area (they are also polymer, so rain won't bother them). They are easily found in town, but I like to buy maps at the visitors centers to support the parks. I recommend the Moab East and Moab West maps for best coverage. You can also usually find the Funtreks Moab Trails book at the local bookstore. "Back of Beyond Books" (83 North Main Street) has an extensive selection of guide books, history, botany, bird, and wildlife books as well as trail maps. If you need any documentation for your trip, that is the place to go in town.

Word of Caution: Many of the trails are in pretty bad shape right now, most the guide books are out of date in terms of trail difficulty. Assume trails are more difficult than printed material would indicate.

Last edited:

IdahoGrizz

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Buhl, ID
Member #

At word about Moab and specifically Chicken Corner (not Chicken Corners, as it is mistakenly called). I've been to Moab many times and, even though it isn't highly technical, it is one of my favorite treks when at Moab. I always include it in my outings.
It is called Chicken Corner because of a path you can walk from where you have to park that rounds a bend in the canyon wall (Colorado River) and it is very narrow and a little scary (not as bad when you are up to it than it does from the parking area). My avatar photo you see in this post is taken from the canyon at Chicken Corner with the river below.
At couple of side trips along the way to Chicken Corner that are a must include: About half way I suppose is a place known as The Catacombs. It looks like a big pile of rocks to the left as you are going to CC, but there is a little road/trail that goes over to it. This pile of rocks is absolutely fascinating. There are sort of like tunnels formed from the way the rocks are piled together. Photo ops galore. Another nice side trip is into a resort called Base Camp Adventure Lodge (it has been a few years since I have been there so things could have changed). They have a large house with 5 bedrooms and they rent them out. Really interesting guys who run the place and they welcome visitors. They had some Navajos come and build authentic hogans. They rent those too. The place is off the grid. Powered primarily with solar panels. Turn to the right (there should be a sign) not too far when you are down off the Harrah Pass grade.
Guides to all the trails at Moab are readily available, both on-line and in Moab.
Two of my favorite places to eat are the Moab Diner (especially for breakfast because many who are getting ready to go out on some adventure are there excited about what they are going to do. The other is Moab Brewery. Usually packed in the evenings. Fun place because this is where many go after they get back from their outing and are blabbing/bragging about what they did that day. Both places are full of energy and enthusiasm. IMO, the best for the real flavor of Moab and what it is about.

Reactions: NetDep and 12C20

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

I completely forgot about the Catacombs, thanks for that reminder. Yeah, bring a flashlight or two and explore that area, it's also a great place to stop to get out of the heat.

I've never been up to the Adventure Lodge, I always assumed that was a private road for guests. Next time I am out that way, I will stop in and check it out.

I second Moab diner. Get anything with the home made Chili Verde, it is the best in town. The Brewery also sells house-made gelato, highly recommended. Also check out Milt's for bison and traditional burgers. Most seating is outside and they can often line up for quite a while, but Milt's is a Moab institution and off the main highway.