Trip Planning Help

• HTML tutorial

JR Dittrich

Rank 0

Traveler I

Hello all!

New member here. I have always loved camping and vehicles, so overlanding seems like a great opportunity to scratch my exploration itch while becoming a member of a fantastic community! The only problem is that I have a 4 cylinder rear wheel drive Tacoma. Sadly, a new truck isn't in the budget right now.

Does anyone have advice as to how I can get involved in overlanding and planning trips that don't require a 4 wheel drive, while still avoiding as much pavement as possible?

Thank you!

Reactions: Tinker and Chadlyb

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Hello all!

New member here. I have always loved camping and vehicles, so overlanding seems like a great opportunity to scratch my exploration itch while becoming a member of a fantastic community! The only problem is that I have a 4 cylinder rear wheel drive Tacoma. Sadly, a new truck isn't in the budget right now.

Does anyone have advice as to how I can get involved in overlanding and planning trips that don't require a 4 wheel drive, while still avoiding as much pavement as possible?

Thank you!
Hello and welcome to the OB crew....you can still get into adventures in your 2wd...proper planning, decent recovery gear, and possibly another vehicle to go with if its somewhere more technical. I've taken cars places they shouldn't have been . Safety should always be your number one. For you, your passengers and everyone around you. 2wd just means you have to think a little more about your surroundings. It will teach you more than you realize when you get out there. Good luck and get into adventures.

Reactions: Tinker

theriddler33

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Madison, Indiana
First Name
robert
Last Name
riedel
Member #

+1 what he said

You be surprised where you could go in a 2wd Tacoma...especially if you add in a locker and a winch bumper. A 2wd Tacoma can be lifted and fitted with taller tires too.

Don't let your lack of 4wd stop you, most overlanding accessories can be moved from one vehicle to another too (tent, fridge, etc.). Welcome to the club!

Reactions: Chadlyb

Madbodhi

Rank IV
Launch Member

Influencer II

Mayville WI
Member #

Tons of places you can go with a 2wd. A locker would certainly help but its not so much the lack of 4wd as it is the lack of low range that will kill you on tougher tracks. Still, there's really not many trails in the Midwest that you couldn't do.