Treadwright tires

• HTML tutorial

904pathy

Rank 0

Contributor I

I'm in the market for some new tire and I was on Facebook and saw a ad for treadwright tires. I was curious because I never heard of this brand tire. After browsing the website and reading the reviews they seem to be ok beside needing to put a lot wheel weights on to balance them. So does anyone here have any experience with these tire.

904pathy

Rank 0

Contributor I

Saints&sailors I think I might still got some life left on mine but really considering it.

offroadohio

Rank IV

Advocate II

I've ran them in the past.

They are a "remold" or bead to bead retread as some say.

I also purchase retreads from tirerecappers.com.

And I've ran other remold brands.

They are decent tires but I don't think thier pricing is all that great. You can usually purchase a cheap China are mud tire for about the same price. But if you want American rubber they are a cheap option.

E

expeditionnorth

I sadly have only heard negative comments about these on another forum

he wary, caveat emptor

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
I had a set of the Treadwright Wardens (BFG AT copies). I ran 285/75/16s on my Tacoma. It was tough to not go for 5 of them for $600 shipped. I would like to say I got them @ spring of 2009. I ran them for @ 65K. I researched them for a while and found very little people with issues that actually had ran them (2 incidents if I recall). A good friend of mine told me he had a set in the past and his dad has ran them for several years.

My take.
The good:
I am not a fan of BFG ATs so I was reluctant to go with that tread but they performed quite well year-round here in Michigan in all sorts of terrains; sand, snow, mud, etc. Nothing crazy but some situations got kinda hairy and they never left me stuck or stranded. As I said, I ran them for @65k and they still had a lot of tread left.

The bad:
These were their older style retreads and had a BFG AT casing. They are heavy tires. I rotated them every 4k-5k but they still got quite noisy after @ 50k. I ended up going with a Toyo Open Country AT. They have been great the last couple of years but have also developed a weird tire noise somewhat. Nothing like the TWs but it is still there.

Would I buy them again? If I was pinched for cash and needed some, yes. Otherwise, I like my lighter Toyos.

Reactions: 904pathy

Lauroness

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor II

Fairfield Ca
Member #

I have a set of Warden2 285/35 on my discovery and I taken them through the desert, mud, sierras, and overall daily highway commute. I don't have any issues with them. I will be purchasing from them in the future. Overlanding USA did a review on them on YouTube

Reactions: 904pathy

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I put a set of the Wardens (BFG A/T) on a 04 1500 chevy crew. We had actual A/Ts on there before. until we had a leveling kit put on the truck and the shop didn't align the front. So after a couple long trips the fronts were shot and we needed tires NOW. We ran them for 40k miles before we sold the truck. I never noticed a difference between the TW and BFGs. As far as noise, I had mud tires on my other truck, so I wouldn't have likely noticed. No issues with them. I'm thinking about putting them on my truck now that they've expanded their size options.

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I ran some on my Samurai and had no issues. I almost bought some for my new 2016 4runner, but instead decided on some P-rated ATs to save 25lbs per corner.

My 4Runner came with these crazy dealer-installed 20x10s with 33x12.5 Mud Claws. I definitely second the need for a good balancing, because they certainly had a shimmy at about 50mph. I won't blame the tires just yet, because honestly I am 100% confident in the quality of the tire install.

I am still debating, though, on a set for the next go around. I probably will whenever I get a flat. Turns out, my wife didn't actually mind the tire noise, and as I get more into the idea of adventuring around along I of course I like the idea of a tougher tire with more traction. Id have no issues getting a set of 33x12.5s from them.