Brewster, NY, USA
First Name
Hector
Last Name
Cartagena
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Vet
Newb, still learning how to navigate through this forum. My apologies if this had already been discussed.

I recent bought a kayak that I would love to take on trips, however, not sure how to travel with it. Any creative mounting options ? Really don’t want to add to my height (RTT lives on top of the jeep), trailer it or having it sticking out the back window. ...
yes, I realized I eliminated most logical options . Any side/offset mounts ?

Thanks in advance . IMG_0998.JPG

Attachments

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
The RTT would definitely be fine with the kayak sitting on top of it. Just put like a spacer block where the tent ends and where there is still room on the rack, just to keep it level.

Then If it were me I would try to just put it front to back on the Jeep, then try to use the grab handles (if it has them, most so) on the front and back to strap it down to the bull bar in the front, then maybe to the hitch in the back. Then strap it down on the roof rack horizontally on the kayak.

Or you could just get a little single axle kayak trailer like this.
Trailer for kayaks or camping

Trailer for kayaks or camping

Reactions: Hec_Carta

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
A lot of my overlanding friends have gone the inflatable kayak. The quality and design of these is now very good and you can fill them with your air compressor, they pack down reasonably small so you can fit them inside.

Berkshires

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Berkshire, MA, USA
First Name
K
Last Name
L
Member #

I agree with Polaris - inflatables are a great way to go. We have a rigid kayak and it's not fun tot travel with, so we borrowed a friends inflatable double and we're hooked. It is great for paddling around and exploring the rivers and lakes we find ourselves near, wouldn't want to have it out on rough waters, though many do.

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
I agree with Polaris - inflatables are a great way to go. We have a rigid kayak and it's not fun tot travel with, so we borrowed a friends inflatable double and we're hooked. It is great for paddling around and exploring the rivers and lakes we find ourselves near, wouldn't want to have it out on rough waters, though many do.
He already bought a kayak though. He wants a solution for what he has

Frisko

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Höfingen, Leonberg, Germany
First Name
Johannes
Last Name
Droigk
Member #

What kind of kayak are we talking about? A short white water/cross over kayak or a full size 5m touring kayak? If it is small enough, the most logical solution would be, putting it on either side. A little bit as shown below, but compared to the picture, I would turn the kayak in order that the opening is facing towards the car. I do not know the restrictions in the US, but in Germany, the maximum allowed width of everything, which is transported on a car roof, is 2.55m (or 100 inch). The Wrangler has a width of ~ 1.90m (or ~ 75inch), so there is "some" width left and in Germany it would still be legal driving around that way. I could not find any of the shelf buy part for mounting a kayak on the side of a Gobi rack (seems to be a Gobi rack), so you probably have to modify an upright kayak mount in order that it fits to the Gobi.

I am currently in the same situation, my sea kayak is ~ 4.7m (185 inch) long and I am also looking for a suitable RTT. I will probably go for the AluCab Expedition 3 tent, because due to the aluminum shell it can carry quite some weight (the tent is already prepared for a tent roof rack) and it is narrow enough, that a kayak on top of it is not an issue.

Hec_Carta

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Brewster, NY, USA
First Name
Hector
Last Name
Cartagena
Member #

Service Branch
USCG Vet
You guys are all awesome . View attachment 100778
This is the yak I have . 10’6

I’m opening up to the idea of an infatable, never really thought of that option. However I think I want to create a custom mount that allows me to mount next to the tent, on the side of the jeep. Hmmm,
Going to the drawing board. I’ll share what i come up with .

Thanks a lot guys !

alexdnick

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Washington, USA
First Name
A
Last Name
N
You guys are all awesome . View attachment 100778
This is the yak I have . 10’6

I’m opening up to the idea of an infatable, never really thought of that option. However I think I want to create a custom mount that allows me to mount next to the tent, on the side of the jeep. Hmmm,
Going to the drawing board. I’ll share what i come up with .

Thanks a lot guys !
You could just bolt two poles going up on the front of the rack and two on the back. Put the kayak between them (on its side) and strap it down. Would be super easy and cheap. Just need brackets.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I believe 2 'J-Cradle' yack mounts, mounted with the long side to the side of the rack would work. You would be able to secure the yack to the rack once settled into the cradles. I would bend my own pipe for the mount as the J mounts on the market are all a little flimsy. The yack would be mounted lower which is a huge bonus for loading with tired arms after a hard paddle.