Rank II

Enthusiast I

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
DuBois
Member #

Sorry for the late post here but I completed a gpx file of the Trans Massachusetts Trail in western Massachuesttes that I completed in November. This trail is a combination of dirt roads, some of which are seasonal, and paved roads. This is a great beginners trail as it is very easy so complete in any 4x4 vehicle. The trail did take about 6 hours to complete due to just driving slow and taking in the sites along the road. The TMT starts at the Connecticut/Massachusetts border and heads north to Greenfield, MA. I am sure you could connect this trail to other roads to make it head into Vermont but I did not have the time this day to keep going.

During this trip you come across a nice wooden covered bridge and a very old arched bridge both of which are one lane.
File_000.jpeg File_002.jpeg

There are a few areas where the road gets less traveled and takes you deep into the woods in the Berkshire Mountains.
File_001.jpeg File_003.jpeg

A little over half way through the trails you come across this nice waterfall and stream. This stream was a great place for me to stop and let the dog out of the truck to explore the stream.
File_004.jpeg

You will also come across an area of the trail that was hit by a tornado a few years back and you can still see the devastation to all the landscape that the twister caused.
File_005.jpeg

Anyway this was a great Saturday afternoon and took most of the day to complete but was nice and relaxing. Hope you guys enjoy as I added the gpx file that I created for this trip.

GPX viewer

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Sorry for the late post here but I completed a gpx file of the Trans Massachusetts Trail in western Massachuesttes that I completed in November. This trail is a combination of dirt roads, some of which are seasonal, and paved roads. This is a great beginners trail as it is very easy so complete in any 4x4 vehicle. The trail did take about 6 hours to complete due to just driving slow and taking in the sites along the road. The TMT starts at the Connecticut/Massachusetts border and heads north to Greenfield, MA. I am sure you could connect this trail to other roads to make it head into Vermont but I did not have the time this day to keep going.

During this trip you come across a nice wooden covered bridge and a very old arched bridge both of which are one lane.
View attachment 182891 View attachment 182892

There are a few areas where the road gets less traveled and takes you deep into the woods in the Berkshire Mountains.
View attachment 182893 View attachment 182894

A little over half way through the trails you come across this nice waterfall and stream. This stream was a great place for me to stop and let the dog out of the truck to explore the stream.
View attachment 182895

You will also come across an area of the trail that was hit by a tornado a few years back and you can still see the devastation to all the landscape that the twister caused.
View attachment 182896

Anyway this was a great Saturday afternoon and took most of the day to complete but was nice and relaxing. Hope you guys enjoy as I added the gpx file that I created for this trip.

GPX viewer
Looks like a nice New England country ride. I'll have to hop on later this year. So, did you run the actual Trans Mass, or is this another one that you have created?

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Any idea what towns you were in at those bridges and that stream? Swift River maybe? They look like they would be really nice in the fall time

wdubois

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
DuBois
Member #

Looks like a nice New England country ride. I'll have to hop on later this year. So, did you run the actual Trans Mass, or is this another one that you have created?
This was the orginal trans mass trail from what I know. The gpx file that I posted is just one that I created that follows the same route. The orginal gpx file that I found online was not specific enough as it seemed to have missing markers on it so I downloaded that one and connected most of the missing information.

wdubois

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
DuBois
Member #

Any idea what towns you were in at those bridges and that stream? Swift River maybe? They look like they would be really nice in the fall time
The steel arched bridge is Bardwell's Ferry Bridge in Shelbourne Falls, MA. The wooden covered bridge is Burkeville Covered Bridge in Conway, MA. As for the stream I think it was the Poland Brook but I am not 100% sure there are a number of streams and rivers along the route.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Nice. Thanks
And yeah, I see the TMT sometimes just draws a straight line whe. There are roads or trails. I'll take a loom at yours

Contributor III

New England
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Barrett
You can hop on The Puppydog Trail right from Greenfield, MA all the way through VT. I only did the first 75 miles so and found it to be mostly groomed dirt roads. 268 miles, (according to my Google search).

Dirtjumper4130

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Enfield, Connecticut, United States
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Bych
Member #

View attachment 182891 View attachment 182892

View attachment 182893 View attachment 182894

View attachment 182895

View attachment 182896

GPX viewer
I’m from the CT/MA boarder area, where can I find your route? I’m new into all this but very eager to get out there more

wdubois

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Scottsdale, AZ, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
DuBois
Member #

There is a gpx file that is attached to the orginal post that you can download and use with either google maps, a gps device, or gaia gps. The trail startes on route 183 just north of the Town of Coolbrook, CT and runs to Greenfield, MA.

Reactions: Dirtjumper4130