Enthusiast III

Orleans, IN, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Morgan
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
Thought I'd throw this out there to see if anyone knows what kind of trailer this might have been in its previous life?

Strangest thing about it are the jacks on the back. They pull out about 4' to each side.

IMG_1640.jpgIMG_1645.jpgIMG_1652.jpgIMG_1643.jpg

Reactions: Okierover

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
It looks like one of the common utility trailers from the 60's-70's. If the axle is cambered, I would guess newer (80's), straight, earlier. It does have an over sized hitch for its size so that's a bonus. Hard to guess about the supports other than it was used while not hooked up to the vehicle. Another bonus if their in good shape. Rim's look to be the common 5X5.5 lug pattern.
Over all, as long as the axle is in good shape, you can get a pink slip and its cheap its not a bad start. Bad rust would mean a ton of metal replacement. When I bought my M-100 (1941), I got a great deal. By the time I was done replacing and fixing the rust, I could have built one for less work.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Looks home/shop built.

Also looks to be 3/16 steel so heavy as all get out.

Bias ply car tires say it hasn't seen a tire store since the 80's at the latest.

Reactions: Okierover

Okierover

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newcastle, OK, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
Look like 70s-80s vintage 1/2 ton Ford P/U or full size sedan wheels so 15".
You know what they look like to me...Just kidding.... I think it goes without saying they will need to be chucked.
I don't see what JC is driving in his profile but whatever it is, those trailer wheels and tires need to match the wheels and tires on his rig.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

You know what they look like to me...Just kidding.... I think it goes without saying they will need to be chucked.
I don't see what JC is driving in his profile but whatever it is, those trailer wheels and tires need to match the wheels and tires on his rig.
Yes they are junk no matter what they are. Looking at the pics more , those look like 5x4 1/2 Ford wheels of the 60s-early 70s vintage and are going to be tube type wheels (that dismount from the back side of the wheel).

All of them will need to be replaced.

Okierover

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Newcastle, OK, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
...those look like 5x4 1/2 Ford wheels of the 60s-early 70s vintage and are going to be tube type wheels (that dismount from the back side of the wheel).
All of them will need to be replaced.
Unless he's wheeling a Willy's Jeep! Then he's in business!!! Or he can sell them on the Willy's page.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Red makes me think a purpose built for a fire department.
Pull out jacks to level/stabilize give a very wide base to support something tall...... light tower or ???
Checker plate on the lower trailer flange creates a great storage place.... obviously the builder thinks outside the box.
The jerry can means it must have carried an engine like a generator ........
Or pump, maybe a bush fire fighting rig.... but why the rear jacks?

A very cool if heavy place to start from. I'd keep the jerry can, spare location and skinny rubber.

Altho that slab of steel in front of the spare must go.

Last edited:

jcmorgan31

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Orleans, IN, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Morgan
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
Thank you all for all of the great information! It is pretty interesting to hear all of the things this trailer could have been in its younger days.

I've done quite a bit of work to it since I got it. Actually took it out on a camping trip this past weekend. I have a build thread over in another category.

IMG_1979.jpgIMG_1890.jpg