mep1811

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

El Paso, Texas
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Perez
Do not use wasp spray for self defense. Just like birdshot in shotguns being for birds, wasp spray is for wasps. Proper name brand OC spray is pretty cheap on Amazon. Don't get the fogger, get either the stream or foam, it's less effected by winds.

Fox Labs OC spray is pretty cheap 1.5oz can less than 30 dollars and is a well known name brand. Sabre also makes OC spray and you can get a 1.5oz can for about 15 dollars on Amazon.

And before someone says use bear spray. Bear spray is regulated by the EPA where as self defense OC spray is not so the concentrations of bear spray compared to consumer self defense spray is quite a bit lower like .18-2 percent where as there are self defense sprays out there at 10 percent. Advantage of bear spray is larger quantity vs self defense spray.

There's also the legal aspect of using what's classified as a pesticide (either wasp spray or bear spray, yes bear spray is classified as a pesticide) on another human. Granted you gotta do what you gotta do but why give the prosecution or the other guy's lawyer more ammo?
I have this , in addition to bear spray , for two legged threats. As with a firearm good insurance can protect you if you need to use anything for self defense.

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Yes, sir. This is all to my point. If there's bad looking dudes doing bad looking things on a doorstep down the sidewalk, why not cross the street and continue on your way, instead of walking right through the huddle?

Be aware. Walk with a purpose. By the way, in close quarters, it's easier to disarm a man of his knife or gun if I have both my hands free. So, if they get the drop on me for whatever reason, i do what i can.

I also have been to Brazil and Mexico and so on. Of course i could not bring my gun there. I guess that means i shouldnt have gone? Of course not. Your idea of blending in is exactly right. I learned some Portuguese before going. Didnt wear an expensive watch or bracelet., and on an on. It's all true, and goes to the PREVENTION and avoidance, which is tantamount in security
Too funny, you bemoan this thread being turned into a gun thread and you both turn into a non-trail thread. bye

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Too funny, you bemoan this thread being turned into a gun thread and you both turn into a non-trail thread. bye
Yeah, it's called finding common ground and making casual conversation. And a lot of the stuff we talked about - like not wearing your expensive watches and jewelry and being alert and situational awareness - will translate when out on a trail or at a big meet up somewhere or stopping into a town for supplies. And as I said. I'm not opposed to guns in the least. I'm just looking for more creative ways to implement security other than "I bring my .357." Ok Freak? Bye then. Have a great day

Reactions: TMichael Brown

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
i think this thread is obviously missing the big picture....trail security is fine and all, but the REAL question is: How do we protect people's feelings??
no amount of guns or wasp spray will stop the butt-hurt.... :disrelieved:
You seem to have it all figured out. Good for you.

legrena

Rank III
Investor

Enthusiast III

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
First Name
Sergio
Last Name
Kyriakis
Member #

Service Branch
US Army Veteran
I always concealed carry as do my traveling companions. When out in the wilderness, I'll switch to open carry just as so anyone looking at us can see we are not defenseless. victims.

I also carry a SCAR and 870 in the truck easy to get to. Below is a link to a good article to the dangers in the Colorado outdoors.

Danger in the forest
That's a pretty informative article right there.

Reactions: Desert Runner

smlobx

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mid Atlantic
First Name
Eddie
Last Name
Fort
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4CPL
Situational awareness is the first line of defense for us. Wether it’s stopping in an unfamiliar town in some back woods area of Botswana or your local mountain town in Colorado..
‘Our second line of defense is the ability to lock everything up and not leave anything out for curious eyes to see. This has come in handy several times in Africa when we were clearly outnumbered and somewhat of of a curiosity and drew a lot of attention.
Third is bear spray and the knowledge to use it. I had to use it in BC last summer when a large black bear became aggressive and invaded our campsite while we were preparing dinner.
‘The last line of defense is a weapon of one sort or another depending on where we are going. Driving into Canada last summer it was a 12 gauge pump action shotgun with Brenekee slugs. Most times it’s one of my Sigs with at least 12 - 15 rounds. Fortunately, we’ve never had to use it but I refuse to be a victim. Period.