Whitefish, Montana, United States
First Name
Kim
Last Name
Richards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7DUE
I have a 2016 two door JK with the factory tow package, and I keep hearing/seeing from various sources that the two door is limited to towing a trailer that weighs less than 2000 lbs. The owners lists the same towing capacity for both the 2 and 4 door models, with a 3.73 or 4.10 differential as 3,500 lbs with 350 lbs tongue weight.
Anyone have experience towing with a 2 door JK?

Reactions: Kent R

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I have a 2016 two door JK with the factory tow package, and I keep hearing/seeing from various sources that the two door is limited to towing a trailer that weighs less than 2000 lbs. The owners lists the same towing capacity for both the 2 and 4 door models, with a 3.73 or 4.10 differential as 3,500 lbs with 350 lbs tongue weight.
I have not towed anything more than a utility trailer when I had a 2 door Rubicon. The 2 door has a shorter wheel base causing the lower trailer limit.
You might message @LUAU LARRY, he has a 2 door and is towing a SmittyBuilt adventure trailer

MTNTRLS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Kim
Last Name
Richards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7DUE
Thanks Kent. I should have been more specific. I was thinking along the lines of an off-road teardrop. I actually have hundreds of miles towing a raft trailer with the JK, but it's an aluminum trailer and a raft with frame and gear is probably in the 200 to 300 pound range. The only thing I noticed with that was going up hill at 70-80 mph, you can see the gas gage move. I've even pulled the car hauler that I use to sometimes transport the Jeep, a few files for Service; 20' overall length, 1350 lbs empty. No issues.

Ottehouse

Rank I

Contributor III

Lincoln, NE
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Otte
I have been towing an offroad teardrop trailer for three years now with my 2018 JK. Living in the midwest, getting to adventures takes 8 hours in any direction. The Jeep pulls the teardrop well, mountain hwys suck. MTNTRLS is correct, you can watch the gas needle move. One trip, I managed 7 mpg on one trip due to the strong headwinds. Generally, I average 10-15 mpg.

My teardrop is 900 lbs dry, closer to 1300 loaded. The trailer has gone everywhere my JK has pulled it through, which is the reason why we deal with poor gas mileage. Get have been able to get to places most cannot.

Attachments

Reactions: JacksonRL

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I can't speak to towing with a 2-door JK, but I can give you some ideas on weights of my teardrop (which is for sale ;) )... with the box behind the diamond plate storage box full of hardwood firewood, a full 30 gallons of water, and all of my gear/food for a ~week trip it was 2800lbs, and had 330lbs of tongue weight. I have to think it was a couple hundred lbs of firewood, and the 30 gallons of water is of course about 250lbs so traveling without the water and wood it'd be more like 2300lbs and probably more like 250lbs of tongue weight.

-TJ

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I have been towing an offroad teardrop trailer for three years now with my 2018 JK. Living in the midwest, getting to adventures takes 8 hours in any direction. The Jeep pulls the teardrop well, mountain hwys suck. MTNTRLS is correct, you can watch the gas needle move. One trip, I managed 7 mpg on one trip due to the strong headwinds. Generally, I average 10-15 mpg.

My teardrop is 900 lbs dry, closer to 1300 loaded. The trailer has gone everywhere my JK has pulled it through, which is the reason why we deal with poor gas mileage. Get have been able to get to places most cannot.
Have you weighed it to confirm those numbers? Just seems incredibly light, at least as compared to my teardrop. Of course, mine is built -very- beefy... but you're still well below half the weight.

-TJ

2015Rubicon

Rank I

Contributor II

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Coffey
I tow my M101A2 often with my 2015 JKU Rubicon. No issues for me even loaded heavy (pallet of sod). Towed it to Silverton CO last summer. It towed good. DCCD1B02-5095-43B0-B5D5-1F224D1AAD13.jpeg

Reactions: PCO6

MTNTRLS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Kim
Last Name
Richards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7DUE

Good information, thanks

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I tow my M101A2 often with my 2015 JKU Rubicon. No issues for me even loaded heavy (pallet of sod). Towed it to Silverton CO last summer. It towed good. View attachment 223550
@2015Rubicon - I like the way that works! :smiley: I built a similar trailer and I'm undecided as to whether to build a hard shell RTT for it or do something like what you have done. If I can get something to fit my 4'x6' bed with a drop down tailgate it might be the way to go.

20-10-19 5.JPG

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

You have the unicorn Jeep JK Manual. They only listed 3500# towing for the JK/JKU in 2016. Every other year the short wheelbase JK/TJ were listed as 2000# and the JKU/LJ listed as 3500#.

I tow a work trailer behind my TJR which sometimes scales at 3500# going to the dump. Load of chimney brick here.

DSC_0001.jpeg

Not an issue but not sure I'd want more than 2000# on the highway which my cargo trailer full of tools weighs.

DSC_0072.jpeg

My camping Square Drop weighs 1500 pounds fully loaded, I never even know it is there.

DSCN2868.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

MTNTRLS

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

First Name
Kim
Last Name
Richards
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7DUE
You have the unicorn Jeep JK Manual. They only listed 3500# towing for the JK/JKU in 2016. Every other year the short wheelbase JK/TJ were listed as 2000# and the JKU/LJ listed as 3500#.

I tow a work trailer behind my TJR which sometimes scales at 3500# going to the dump. Load of chimney brick here.

View attachment 223863

Not an issue but not sure I'd want more than 2000# on the highway which my cargo trailer full of tools weighs.

View attachment 223864

My camping Square Drop weighs 1500 pounds fully loaded, I never even know it is there.

View attachment 223865
Billebob, that's interesting about the unicorn manual! I'll be focused on keeping any trailer under 2000. Thanks for that insight.