Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, Missouri
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Swain
Member #

Here are a few picks of my trailer I am working on. It is 5 x 8 slant v nose. Somewhat of a mix between Australian style offroad campers and American teardrop campers. I had a custom frame put together earlier in the year and have been working on the camper over the spring and summer. I have 3 100 watt solar panels, 2 225 amp hour 6 volt batteries, 2000 watt inverter. 5000 btu air conditioner, 25 gallon water tank. I still have a ways to go on the build but it is getting there.tomahawk1.jpeg tomahawk5.jpeg tomahawk6.jpeg tomahawk7.jpeg tomahawk8.jpeg tomahawk11.jpeg tomahawk9.jpeg tomakawk13.jpeg

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

When I saw the first picture with the teeny tiny wheels I wondered. Then I scrolled down and saw the new frame and wheels and went “whew”. Looks likes a labor of love.

Jeff Swain

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, Missouri
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Swain
Member #

When I saw the first picture with the teeny tiny wheels I wondered. Then I scrolled down and saw the new frame and wheels and went “whew”. Looks likes a labor of love.
LOL yes the small tires are just for getting it in and out of the garage. The roof will have solar panels, vent and roof racks. When it is all finished im thinking I will have about an inch of clearance to get the trailer in. Definitely a labor of love, but a fun project.

Reactions: vegasjeepguy

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Looks good. With that back hatch up like that it looks almost perfect to build an annex under for shower/potty/etc.
What's the full loaded weight?

Reactions: TacomaSparky

persquank

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

DFW
First Name
Randall
Last Name
Stephens
Member #

I love this design. The picture with the awning out and the trailer on the tiny wheel looks hilarious.

Jeff Swain

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, Missouri
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Swain
Member #

Looks good. With that back hatch up like that it looks almost perfect to build an annex under for shower/potty/etc.
What's the full loaded weight?
Plan is to put tankless hot water heater on drivers side near the sink and making that the shower/potty area. Not sure about weight of trailer. I will get it weighed at some point.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Jeff Swain

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, Missouri
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Swain
Member #

I love this design. The picture with the awning out and the trailer on the tiny wheel looks hilarious.
Lol I agree it looks ridiculous with the little tiny wheels. I wanted extra headroom in the camper but I still wanted it to fit in my garage so that was my solution, use tiny tires to get it in and out of the garage. Altogether I have about an inch of clearance.

Last edited:

Tvot84

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Topeka, KS, USA
First Name
Tony
Last Name
Votaw
Member #

Looks awesome man! Can't wait to see some pics of it out in the wilderness...
Also, what is "poor mans fiberglass"?

Reactions: vtrover

Jeff Swain

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Springfield, Missouri
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Swain
Member #

Looks awesome man! Can't wait to see some pics of it out in the wilderness...
Also, what is "poor mans fiberglass"?
Thanks. Poor mans fiberglass is a technique where you spread wood glue over the bare wood then cover it with canvas or cloth. After it dries most people paint it with several layers of exterior paint. It is suppose to be extremely durable. I decided by covering it in bedliner it would be even more durable. So far I am very impressed with how durable it is.

TacomaSparky

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor I

Richmond Virginia
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Madren
Member #

Thanks. Poor mans fiberglass is a technique where you spread wood glue over the bare wood then cover it with canvas or cloth. After it dries most people paint it with several layers of exterior paint. It is suppose to be extremely durable. I decided by covering it in bedliner it would be even more durable. So far I am very impressed with how durable it is.
I used monstaliner bed liner on the roof of my camper and ended up getting crack... now I’m finally putting aluminum on top to to fix it. The sides are holding up fine though because the plywood is thicker and doesn’t get as much direct sunlight.