Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lewisville, TX, USA
First Name
Octavio
Last Name
Lopez
Member #

Hey everyone! Excuse the newbie question since I am recently new to overlanding. I do know airing down the tires is recommended while trailing sometimes but I have a question in regards to afterwards when your done with the trails and are back at base camp. Do you guys leave the tires air-downed while back at camp overnight or do you fill up and then deflate the tires the next day when you go out? If you leave the tires deflated, what can be the affects? Any info would be awesome!

Taco Zach

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Paxton, MA
Member #

Agreed. Just make sure that you have a means of airing up before getting back on the highway. If not, you can still air down, just not as much, but make sure to stop and air back up at the next gas station as soon as you can. If you are doing it often or want a new toy, get an air compressor for your vehicle. There are plenty of products out there, ranging in capability and price.

Brandon Harvey

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oregon
Member #

Normal tire pressure is 32 - 40 depending on driving conditions. For offroading anywhere from 15 - 25 and really it depends on tire surface, terrain surface. For my conditions which is rooty rocky trails and road I prefer around 20. Really you should test various pressures with your rig on the terrain you frequent and pick the best pressure for your load and comfort.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Nothing bad will happen if you keep your tires aired down over night, or even for a week at a time if you're on a trip and the terrain warrants it. I've been at 18 psi (BFG KM2) and have driven on pavement a good 30-45 minutes. Top speed should be limited to 30-35 mph if you do this. If you have a weaker sidewall tire, it may not like that much speed and deflection over a long time like that.

Tavo726

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lewisville, TX, USA
First Name
Octavio
Last Name
Lopez
Member #

Awesome! Thanks for the input guys! I picked up a SmittyBuilt air compressor about a month ago to fill up, so I'm good on that. I will probably head up to my weekend spot that has a little bit of everything up this weekend to test a few. I currently got some Nitto Terra Grapplers on my rig but looking into some new tires. Been seeing that the BFG KM2 are a popular one.