Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
Gents,

I have added steel, front and rear bumpers, fiberglass rooftop tent, 270 and shower awnings, rear canopy (topper) on my 2014 Toyota Tacoma. Currently with all this new weight and all my gear, water, propane and extra fuel cans, the total weight is 6,450lbs.

I am nervous that I have too much weight. I know that's not the best situation as being 1k lbs lighter would be better, but I'm going to give it a shot and see how she does. I have added new suspension system (Old Man EMUs) on her and added some Timbren SES bump stops which should help with stability and keeping her from bottoming out. I just put on her a brand new set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers LT285/70R17s.

With that in mind, what would you recommend my highway psi be set at, and when I hit the off road, what should I air the tires down to?

I'm thinking of starting at 50psi/front and 55psi/rear for highway and 25psi/front and 30psi/rear for backroads and seeing how she does.

Thanks,

Jack

Reactions: Kozysnack

diabetiktaco

Local Expert New Jersey, USA
Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Gents,

I have added steel, front and rear bumpers, fiberglass rooftop tent, 270 and shower awnings, rear canopy (topper) on my 2014 Toyota Tacoma. Currently with all this new weight and all my gear, water, propane and extra fuel cans, the total weight is 6,450lbs.

I am nervous that I have too much weight. I know that's not the best situation as being 1k lbs lighter would be better, but I'm going to give it a shot and see how she does. I have added new suspension system (Old Man EMUs) on her and added some Timbren SES bump stops which should help with stability and keeping her from bottoming out. I just put on her a brand new set of Nitto Ridge Grapplers LT285/70R17s.

With that in mind, what would you recommend my highway psi be set at, and when I hit the off road, what should I air the tires down to?

I'm thinking of starting at 50psi/front and 55psi/rear for highway and 25psi/front and 30psi/rear for backroads and seeing how she does.

Thanks,

Jack
I had a similar setup with OME HD Dakars, 885's, and nitrochargers. I usually ran 35 psi and never had an issue or instability. That was on 255 / 75 - 17 tires.

Reactions: OldManJack

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Something else to look at are the inflation and load charts from the tire manufacturers. They will tell you the minimum required PSI for a given load on the tire in order to run it at the rated speed. From the vehicle manufacturer, the OEM tires and tire pressures are what is needed to provide the necessary load capacity for the vehicle's GVWR or GAWR. Once you change away from OEM tires, exceed factory GVWR, etc, then things can change and these inflation charts can give you a good starting point. For the OP, the below should apply. If the rear axle load is over 4,210LB then they have to run more than 35PSI on the highway. If it's less than 4,210LB then the tires will be fine to run at 35PSI on the highway. Fine-tuning with the chalk test isn't a bad idea once you're in the ballpark based on tire/axle load.

Tire Size35 psi40 psi45 psi50 psi55 psi60 psi65 psi70 psi75 psi80 psi95 psi
LT285/70R17
Single Tire
2105 lbs 2315 lbs2510 lbs2755 lbs (C) 2900 lbs3050 lbs3195 lbs (D) 3195 lbs3195 lbs3195 lbs (E)