Thoughts on ford excursion 4x4

• HTML tutorial
U

UgotWheelz

Over the past two years I’ve moved from an all wheel drive lifted hot hatch to a Ford bronco sport then do a jeep grand Cherokee Limited and now I’m driving a jeep grand Cherokee Trailhawk as I prepare to sell the family estate I find myself needing more gear storage capacity and I’m looking at larger vehicles even though what I’m currently in as far outside of my normal preference for a vehicle. I’m curious about any experience with the Ford excursion 4 x 4 seems like the two most feasible engine choices are the V 10 which has some spark plug issues in that generation and the 7.3 L power stroke diesel which with the rising fuel price of fuel may not be advantageous. i’m comparing this with the possibility of adding a custom high roof to the jeep or towing a trailer. I have had three small teardrop style trailers and a 13 foot travel trailer none of them fit my needs for off-road travel and I didn’t enjoy the limited maneuverability of having the trailer but the Ford excursion may have similar limitations and maneuverability.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
There are a couple of members here with Excursions. If I found one locally for an attractive price I’d be very tempted.

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@OverlandRS Check out the Excursion/F250/F350 forums; there's plenty of good information there.

In general, the 7.3L Powerstroke is the preferred engine; I've never owned or driven either, just speaking what I've heard. Either one is gonna have drinking problems, ha ha.

Maneuverability is greatly restricted in long-wheelbase vehicles; it's something you'll have to accept. There are massive lifts for Excursions (12"+) and you can run 37's or something to help with the breakover angle, but all that height and width will still restrict the trails you can access. And besides that, there is the issue of weight: the larger the vehicle, the heavier it is, and the wider the tires needed to spread out that weight, exacerbating the dimensions issue.

Whether or not it would be right for you depends largely on the types of terrain and the trail environments you're going to run with it. Sand and mud will be very risky.

I run a lot of forest trails and my moderately-lifted Explorer already scrapes low-hanging branches. Width-wise, you might as well forget any forest trails in an Excursion. Fire and forest service roads should still be plenty accessible, though.

Reactions: UgotWheelz