thewildferret

Rank I
Founder 500
Launch Member

Contributor II

Heartland, TX
Member #

Hey gang,

Who has a GX 470? I'm thinking of trading in my Jeep for something with a lot more comfort inside. I don't trail ride like I used to so I know a couple guys with a GX 470 and they look really nice. So I want to see how others have modded their rigs for Overlanding.

Thanks.

Reactions: Ubiety

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Don't have one, my sister did and I drove the heck out of hers when I would go visit.
Comfy, nice aftermarket support, fuel mileage is ok. A bit more money than a Jeep but, I think its worth it.

Scott

Reactions: Graeman

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

They are good trucks. Basically a 4Runner with a side swing tail gate. The drive train is bomb proof. They usually come with air suspension I believe. Not too much trouble to swap it out for conventional suspension if it has issues. Usually easier to find than a V8 4Runner.

Arailt

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Prosper, TX, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Arailt
Member #

I have an 08 and I love it too. Check out the 120 section on IH8MUD for lots of great builds.

GXs are North America's rebadged version of the Land Cruiser Prado 120. They share a frame/suspension/driveline components with the US 4Runner and FJ Cruiser, but from the frame up they are completely different, so the aftermarket for bumpers, sliders, roof racks, and anything interior is limited to a handful of fab shops that make GX stuff or vendors who import Prado stuff from Europe, Australia, and the Middle East. However, the aftermarket is growing now that more people are becoming aware of their off road prowess.

The engine and transmission are known to be pretty bulletproof, but the 470s are all 10+ years old at this point, so there’s lots of small maintenance items that can add up fast. Fluids, bushings, ball joints, belts, suspension, etc.

Common problem items include cracked exhaust manifolds ($$$$), rear air suspension pump/airbags failing, front brake calipers seizing (it’s common to swap them for GX460 calipers - they use the same pads), rattling sunroof, rear driveshaft thump (TSB), cracked dashboard (was a recall, but it’s over), driveline vibration (TSB).

-03 is the only year with a transmission dipstick (I think) - the rest of the years are “sealed”
-05+ has a VVTI motor with like 30 more HP
-07+ the navigation was refreshed
-08/09 have clear turn signals, chrome accents, and dark brown wood interior accents (vs light wood)
-“Sport” models have KDSS standard and smoked headlights - you can easily spot them by their black wood accents in the interior
-KDSS was also an option, but not common outside of the Sport
-Some people prefer non-navigation models because it’s easier to replace the radio - it’s worth noting that there aren’t many options to replace the factory navigation units because the HVAC controls are integrated (I think there’s one option and it’s a Tesla style unit)

I’m sure there’s a lot I’m missing, but I hope that helps

Reactions: KrisK and RainGoat

RainGoat

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Redmond, WA, USA
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I have an 08 and I love it too. Check out the 120 section on IH8MUD for lots of great builds.......I’m sure there’s a lot I’m missing, but I hope that helps
We almost bought one last summer. This post is an EXCELLENT summary. I would also HIGHLY advise reading the IH8MUD Guide to buying a GX470. My initial foray demonstrated a wide variety in quality of used vehicles. This surprised me as the majority of recent vehicles my family have bought have been remote purchases. Ultimately, I decided I would likely only be able to buy a GX if I could inspect it in person. Since my Mom sleeps in her rig but also wants use of rear seats at her ultimate destination (GrandChildren) the tumble forward rear seats & the too narrow space when split was a deal breaker. Also, I REALLY prefer a swing up hatch for loading & element protection. We ultimately went with a new T4R but I found the engine, AWD drivetrain & excellent turning radius of the GX superior. KDSS is fantastic but VERY hard to find in the GX.

Reactions: Arailt

LuxuryOverland

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger III

Sparks, NV, USA
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Steele
Member #

got an 03 and love it.

Get one. You WONT be sorry. BUT heads up!! ---plan on a rear axle upgrade one day! its our only issue. Upgrade to a) 8.2" rear fj axle with locker OR b) currie 9" fj axle with locker. Either direction isn't wrong. Neither is getting a GX!!! ...just Don't take fuel mileage into account!!

Reactions: RainGoat and Arailt