Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
tell me what you guys think or if you have better recommendations for a hand held.

That looks like a good one as well. I picked up this model. I like that it came in a pair so I can give the other to someone else in my immediate family that my GMRS license covers (or someone else who needs one on the trail that's licensed).

ryanorr280

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Wewoka, Seminole County, Oklahoma, United States
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Orr
Member #

I own the V1, it’s a great little radio for the price. I bought it as my starter radio. I use my midland mxt275 in the 4Runner, and our midland gxt1000 handhelds more though. They are just easier to explain how they work to others (we use them at the lake for backing in camper/when leaving camp to hike/kayak)

where the V1 really shines for me is that it is repeater capable, if you can reach a repeater. As well as, you can add an external antenna. That’s how I had my setup before buying a mobile unit and mounting it

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I own the V1, it’s a great little radio for the price. I bought it as my starter radio. I use my midland mxt275 in the 4Runner, and our midland gxt1000 handhelds more though. They are just easier to explain how they work to others (we use them at the lake for backing in camper/when leaving camp to hike/kayak)

where the V1 really shines for me is that it is repeater capable, if you can reach a repeater. As well as, you can add an external antenna. That’s how I had my setup before buying a mobile unit and mounting it
I ran a similar setup for the longest time using a UV-5R before picking up my midland mxt275. Worked great. I keep it in the truck as a loaner/spotting radio.

I can't imagine the gmrs radio not working as well. Should be a good radio.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
For some reason I can never see whatever links people are dropping. I think it's usually amazon links.

1593614098536.png

I've got a GMRSV1 as well. Good handheld and will do repeaters if you care about such things. I've also got some of the Midlands. They're ok for what they are but are consumer level radios for those who know nothing at all about radios, I keep them around as hand out radios. A hard mounted mobile will blow the performance of any handheld out of the water for sure and you don't have to jack with batteries.

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
As for suggestions for other handhelds. Motorola or Kenwood surplus radios are a great option but are kind of the radio nerd option, I'll get to that in a second. They're about the same or cheaper than buying the GMRS V1, are far better as far as the "cleanliness" of their transceivers and are built like tanks cause many were or are used in public safety roles. I'm kind of a Motorola guy cause we use them at work but they have their own issues with programming.

Any of these surplus radios will require computer programing. Kenwood is the easiest to find the software for and can many times be programed via CHIRP.

Motorola on the other hand is much harder to deal with, many times on the older units you'll need an older computer with a physical serial port on it and the software sometimes wont' run on newer versions of windows. I have an older tower PC out in my garage with a serial port and Windows Vista specifically for programming my Motorolas. My older HT1000 handhelds even require DOS for programming lol. Motorola is also very protective of their software so finding it can be kind of a PITA. Even older software that they dont' even make radios for anymore.

Midland actually sells their "BizTalk" handhelds which are built to higher standards of dust proofness and water resistance. They are meant for business use but they offer their software on the website to program them and sell the cable as well.