The Skottle Has Landed!

• HTML tutorial

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

So, Friday night we had some friends over for the big Polish Feast on the Tembo Tusk Skottle....
I would like to tell you it went well, but it did not - I burned the crap out of the pierogies and ended up switching over to a frying pan for them and a grill for the kielbasa.
BUT, failing to be deterred - I went back after it last night and made fajitas on the skottle that turned out amazing.

It was my fault for not approaching the skottle properly the first time around. I didn't know how quick it would heat up or how much heat to use, but I easily got it down yesterday and think I'm ready to take this rig up to camp in a couple of weeks. Nothing like a feast in the middle of the woods after a day of hard work.

I don't have any pictures of the burn out on Friday. But here's the fajita mixing's from last night.

SkottleMeTimbers.jpg

RaggedViking

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Readsboro, VT
Member #

There's definitely an art to it. It's better to increase heat slowly or pre heat and then turn it down to the level you want. The oil temp gets up and can burn things easily if not watched. The fajitas look great!
That was my initial problem on Friday - too much heat. Which was a rookie mistake on my part, as I've been cooking on Coleman burners since I was 10.
I would like to blame beer, but I had just opened the first one of the night - but alas....