Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Looking forward to getting to New Mexico, definitely enjoy yer posts.
It would be great to have you visit here. You would be welcome at my place for a day or a month anytime. It's not as pretty here as it is in Canada but it is warm in the winter and I rarely wear a coat. Come on down and get some sunshine. :sunglasses:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

A month ago was tune up, new O2 sensors, blow out the rear cat. I'm not sure where the bump in gas mileage came from but I also changed tires to something I bet no one else is running.

I've had mostly 33s, plus the original Rubicon Goodyear MTRs, plus a short stint with 35s. I never checked mileage with the 35s, I just knew it was bad. Never cared what the factory tires delivered cuz I wanted 33s. But I've never hit 20mpg, even running down the gorge to Portland at under 60mph with 33s.

For the past month with the new skinny 7.50R16s, pulling a trailer thru the mountains and holding 60mph plus passing all the trucks on the 3 lane grades at 75mph with a 1500# trailer, I got 14mpg over 300miles. For the next 300miles I held back averaging 55mph but never over 60mph. With the trailer I got 18mpg.

This weekend was 600 miles, no trailer, average 60mph, often passing at 80mph..... I averaged 22mpg. I'm gonna say it was all due to the tires. Skinny and 40# lighter than 33x10.50R15 KO2s. The handling especially on gravel is way more confidence inspiring. The ride.... I no longer try to dodge breaks in the pavement.... and the rolling resistance is enough to catch me off guard at red lights, forcing a sudden brake application.

Anyone wanting a ride or economy boost? Get real skinny tires. The 7.50R16 is very close to the 235/85R16 which is way more common.

These were also $200 less than 33/10.50R15s... and they are rated to go 33% farther.

Next job, building 2" flares cuz the 4" flares look like pantaloons.
My TJR will soon be skinnier than an SE !

DSC_0014.jpg

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

There have been a few questions about the rims on my TJR, they are a generic, no name brand, for winter tires.

Here is the label off the box. This all there is to identify them.
JEEP RIMS 001.jpeg