Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Madisonville, KY, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Brown
Member #

I'm looking for feed back if anyone has used this app. It seams like it would be a useful tool. It has a 7 days free trial. I'm looking for more info before I purchase it.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Not ready for prime time. It's a new app. Yeah I know Hunt has been around for a long time.

Only 3 map choices?
No way to import tracks?
No support for the app online? Help is only for the Hunt app it appears. Try even searching for Offroad in the support site.

When I tried the app in Android a few months ago the trail search function they highlight does not work very well. I just downloaded the iOS version and the same applies.

Everyone knows I am the Gaia Guy but I will gladly say if another app is any good.

Pass...

Mods this should be moved to the Overland Navigation section.

Reactions: WrightRunner

BluegrassOverlander

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Madisonville, KY, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Not ready for prime time. It's a new app. Yeah I know Hunt has been around for a long time.

Only 3 map choices?
No way to import tracks?
No support for the app online? Help is only for the Hunt app it appears. Try even searching for Offroad in the support site.

When I tried the app in Android a few months ago the trail search function they highlight does not work very well. I just downloaded the iOS version and the same applies.

Everyone knows I am the Gaia Guy but I will gladly say if another app is any good.

Pass...

Mods this should be moved to the Overland Navigation section.
Ok. Thanks for the information. That's what I needed to know.

PyroTek_98_23

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Corona, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Coover
Member #

I have used OnX Hunt app for sometime now, We love it for hunting, and its helped for camping and other when land boundaries come in question. We purchased OnX Offroad, haven't had much time to play with it, it is a fairly new app. I hope they give it the attention that Hunt has. Kinda disappoint that I don't yet see a web feature, like hunt has. I can plan my hunts and maps on my desktop and then access them on my phone when I get to the location. I do wish it was more of a Layer for Premium Hunt rather than having 2 subscriptions. We plan to go out in a couple weeks, Ill play with it more at that time, and hope to have more information for you.

PyroTek_98_23

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Corona, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Coover
Member #

Have you had the chance to try the offroad version yet? If so, how was it?
Just replaced brake pads on the 4Runner, might head out this week or next weekend. Used it for some trails in the Cleveland NF, but all the gates are still closed from the fires. Might try Big Bear or Wrightwood when we go out.

Offroadnutz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Texas/Missouri
First Name
Steven
Last Name
M
Member #

Is the app user friendly? Im contemplating this or Gaia. Do you know how it compares to Gaia?

Bigskykb

Rank 0

Contributor I

MT
First Name
K
Last Name
B
I used onx offroad for about 6 months and recently cancelled it. I'll probably try it again in a year or so, but my impression is that they rushed a minimum viable product to market to test the demand & it's not currently worth the $48 per year price.
They are still in their infancy collecting trail data. It seemed that every dirt road was considered a high clearance trail. Land ownership data was incomplete & some MVUM data was missing.
The lack of a web based map like the hunt app has was the biggest thing lacking. I wanted to be able to scout and plan possible routes from PC instead of my phone. While on the trail, I found myself having to switch back and forth between the off-road app and Hunt app to get all the information I wanted.
I think it would have actually been better if they had released a set of off road map layers for the hunt app instead of a separate app.
Onx says they are still developing it, but I've seen no real changes in the time I've used it. I'm going to switch to GAIA for now and circle back in a year or so.

Last edited: