Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

Well, since we have a family of 6, cooking is normaly on a larger scale. So I decided the plow disk would be the easiest to cook for crowd. Another member mentioned Southwest Disk, so I checked them out and decided the 24" Rio Grande would meet my needs. We'll...I got it in today, and all I can say is, this thing is huge. It's the perfect size for my family. I went ahead and purchased the Big Kahuna XL burner for it also. I did find a 10% off coupon so it brought my total bill to $192.60 with shipping. I love the patina of the disk. I will be braking this in along with my trailer in about 2-3 weeks in Alabama Hills.20180419_130704.jpg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Well, since we have a family of 6, cooking is normaly on a larger scale. So I decided the plow disk would be the easiest to cook for crowd. Another member mentioned Southwest Disk, so I checked them out and decided the 24" Rio Grande would meet my needs. We'll...I got it in today, and all I can say is, this thing is huge. It's the perfect size for my family. I went ahead and purchased the Big Kahuna XL burner for it also. I did find a 10% off coupon so it brought my total bill to $192.60 with shipping. I love the patina of the disk. I will be braking this in along with my trailer in about 2-3 weeks in Alabama Hills.View attachment 54328
Dang, @Caddis - you'll be able to use that as a satellite dish when you're not cooking.

I like the wound wire handles, and yeah, I think I'm going to sell the disk I have and if I end up needing one for big groups, would go for something like you just purchased. Be fun to experiment with it hanging from an adjustable chain and tripod over a fire, or other burner styles, too. That Big Kahuna XL burner is a honking big thing too, isn't it?

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

I didn't have much time to set it all up today. Yes, it is a big burner. I did notice it said it could handle woks up to 22". My Rio Grande is 24". More to come in the next couple of weeks.

Reactions: Road

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

I got a chance to set up my plow disk and burner. It's good to do a pre-run before venturing out. The Kahuna XL sits about 24" tall.
20180421_094655.jpgWith the Rio Grande 24" blade it sits around 27" to the top of the disk. I may just have enough room to feed my family, and anyone next to us.20180421_095139.jpg

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I got a chance to set up my plow disk and burner. It's good to do a pre-run before venturing out. The Kahuna XL sits about 24" tall.
View attachment 54424With the Rio Grande 24" blade it sits around 27" to the top of the disk. I may just have enough room to feed my family, and anyone next to us.View attachment 54425
That's pretty awesome, @Caddis - the burner affair is not the one I thought it was, and looks like yours has telescoping legs? That seems a lot more packable than the one I was thinking about, which looked more like a turkey fryer propane base.

Caddis

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Kingsburg, CA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Regier
Member #

The burner breaks down pretty compact. The disk is another story. Good thing is, we could use it as a long range steel target, or a satellite dish, or we could play captain America, or we could use it as a disk down some dunes or snow like on Christmas Vacation.

Reactions: Road

McKingfish

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Clovis, CA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
King
Member #

Looking forward to reading your review once you spend some time cooking on it. I am thinking a SW disc is in my future.