the little adventures count too! - The "What did you do/explore on the weekend?"-Thread

• HTML tutorial

theroadtrotter

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nuremberg, Germany
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Wolff
Member #

Hello together,

everywhere you see and hear people planning and talking about their "big" holidays and trips. But the year has 52 weeks and weekends. It's not all about the big ones.

I thought it's a good idea to open up this thread, where everyone can feel free to share their last little adventure or tour, which maybe is not worth to open up an own thread.
You drove to the sea for a weekend spontaneously? Share it.
You had a fun day in the forest nearby? Share it.
This will inspire others and we can engage even in small interactions.

Greetings
Kev

theroadtrotter

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Nuremberg, Germany
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Wolff
Member #

And I will start right away:

Two weeks ago I thought it would be a nice idea to go to the Zugspitze - germany's highest mountain - and camp nearby. After spending a day in munich at BMW Welt and in a cafe, meeting some other overlander I drove to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and set up my tent on a campsite. In advance I monitored the weather forecast for a week and it should not go deeper than 0 degree Celsius in the night. But no, it ended up with -6.. :D And I have no heating system. Neither in the rooftoptent nor in the car. Fortunately my sleeping bag and duvets where enought to not feel cold after 20-30 minutes and I made it through the night. And condensation gets a real problem..
Nice experience - but I will do without it for the future. Last weekend we installed an air heater in the car.

Nevertheless it was totally worth it. The next day I could manage to go to the cable car of the Zugspitze right after opening and went up to the summit station with only a handful of people. Blue sky, quite warm, few people. Just magical after the cold night.

See for yourself the attached pictures:

1 & 2 where shot in the morning on the campsite
3 - view from Zugspitze / summit station
4 - frozen Lake Eibsee near the Zugspitze / valley station

Feel free to share your small adventures!

Attachments

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Hello Kevin,

Nice nice. And yes every trip does count. Short, long, far, close it all counts as long as you are out and explore.
If you are looking here on the Rally points and on Facebook Mid Europe you will see that we are organising lots of events.
So, good to open this and keep those trips and their pictures coming.

Good work.

Reactions: theroadtrotter

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
Yes absolutely not everyone can take weeks or months to do trips and the best way to learn your kit, meet other like minded people is to do weekend and long weekend getaways.
We have regular weekends and meets throughout the year.

Reactions: Road

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

I’ve had split days off for a while now so all my exploring is down to day trips but we still try to get some miles in and are still very thankful to be out exploring and playing our favorite driving game “ I wonder where that gravel road goes “

Sadly I think a lot of people spend so much time outfitting and planning for huge trips that they miss out on a lot of opportunities to take multiple small trips and actually cove a more diverse area . Most of us have so much to explore in our own backyard that we never really take advantage of it because we get caught up in the allure that the adventure will be better the further from home we travel .

Attachments

Constantin

Rank IV
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Nuremberg, germany
First Name
Constantin
Last Name
Alecu
Member #

I’ve had split days off for a while now so all my exploring is down to day trips but we still try to get some miles in and are still very thankful to be out exploring and playing our favorite driving game “ I wonder where that gravel road goes “

Sadly I think a lot of people spend so much time outfitting and planning for huge trips that they miss out on a lot of opportunities to take multiple small trips and actually cove a more diverse area . Most of us have so much to explore in our own backyard that we never really take advantage of it because we get caught up in the allure that the adventure will be better the further from home we travel .
It’s good you wrote here. Thank you for the marvelous pictures! A little bit jealous because here in Germany it’s all regulated. In order to get to such trails I must plan at least a one week journey.
But nevertheless I will meet some european OB members for one weekend in France, in May I’ll do a one week journey to Romania, then summer I’ll do Albania for two weeks and in September it’ll be the western alps for one week. So I can’t complain [emoji6]

Reactions: Robert OB 33/48

76_overlander

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Biarritz, France
First Name
Angus
Last Name
LastName
Member #

Sorry I just realize this was Europe you can delete my post if you want
Such a strange reaction. Why would we delete your post ? Because we live on different continents ? OB is worldwide they said ;) Everyone is welcome to post anywhere on the forums. I am both happy you ended up posting here and sorry you would have deleted your post if you had the permission to do so :sweatsmile:

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

One of my favourite spots is 3,5h from where I live, Botsalano Game Reserve. I've made it my mission to find (and share) great camping spots within 2-4 hours' drive from major cities in SA. You'll find with some research and exploring there are many opportunities for short trips that can be as memorable as the big ones!

A mate's video of our last short trip to Botsalano

Reactions: 76_overlander