The Colorado Jeep

• HTML tutorial

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Chose the JK because I love the off-road capability and taking the top and doors off. I am much more of an overlander than a rock crawler and have been building my JK with that in mind. With my current setup on A/Ts it cruises at 75 mph and handles some gnarley trails.

Current equipment:
2010 JK Mountain Edition
3.73s
2.5” aev lift and 315s
12k lb winch
KC daylighters
Premium soft top
Bestop rear bumper and tire carrier
Barricade front bumper
Hi Lift jack
Quick release sway bar disconnects
A bunch of extra underbody protection
Viar 300p air compressor
Bestop overhead rack

Future mods:
Regear, likely to 4.56 or 4.88 for added OD use and not to kill cruising RPM
Better cooler that’ll fit behind the back seat
Alternate power—since I use my laptop to work while on the road. I’ll most likely go with a dual battery setup.

View attachment 84300
View attachment 84301
View attachment 84303

Last edited:
Reactions: JCWages

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Since starting this thread I found a Bestop overhead rack. This is an insanely clever rack system. It mounts rails on the exterior of the Jeep similar to what might be found in a truck bed. The rack bars easily go on and off depending on need. I think the track rails are incredibly useful. I am planning to mount some side lights on mine to and I may use them to mount a shovel and axe at some point. I’ve also imagined mounting small water and gas storage on them. I see this system as a huge part of my build’s future.

IMG_1258.JPGIMG_1152.JPGIMG_0846.JPG

Last edited:

Homeguy

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Calgary, AB
I probably wouldn’t do 5.13 gears if you are going the over land build for your Jeep. With those gears you would probably be able to burn rubber in first and second. Lots of power but your hi-way cruising your rpm’s will be 3000+. I would stick to 4.56 or 4.88 with 35’s. 4.56 will be the closest to the rpms you would have had with the 32’s and 3.73.

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Thanks for the tip. The Jeep forums all tend to push the 5.13s, with the argument that the Jeep will have enough power maximize OD use, but I agree that would kill highway cruising speed—which is already one of the Jeep’s biggest weaknesses. The idea of 4.56s came in my mind because there is a full install kit new and cheap on Craigslist. I may have to jump on that deal because the price/risk is low and it may be exactly what I need.

Reactions: Homeguy

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Finally bought new tires. I went with Big O Big Foot A/Ts. Here’s why:
These are some of the lightest LT315/70r17s out there at 60.3lbs which is good as long as I’m running a D30 up front and 3.73 gears. These tires are made by Cooper and have similar tread as the AT3 which have good reviews for AT traction. At 17/32 they are chunkier than KO2s (15/32) but are by no means a MT. Winter rated and lots of siping. D load range (a lot of 315s are Es and I feel that’s unnecessary for my lightweight Jeep). Price was right. Only LT315 I know of with a 60k mile warranty. And they say Big Foot on ‘em which is fun.
IMG_1320.JPG
IMG_1321.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Shamu

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

The cheap plastic interior of the 2010 JK has always bothered me, so I am gradually re-surfacing everything with enamel paint. I’ll have to re-do a lot of it, but so far I’m liking the look and feel of it.

438FA257-5521-4BF0-823C-F3C5EF909795.jpg

17B7A93F-927C-4070-B183-FA2534C5EF84.jpg

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

Haven't posted for awhile so here's an update on my Jeep.

When I bought it, I knew it had steering issues. After pushing it through death wobble for too long, it went from being frustrating and mildly unsafe to totally undriveable. The past 6 months have been a journey discovering how systemic the death wobble issue became. I have a new track bar, ball joints, wheel bearings, speed sensors, and drag link. She is back driving nicely (less some squeaking and clicking). I'll be going back in to grease everything and swap the U-joints soon. The death wobble has turned out to be very informative sine I've been swapping everything myself.

Anyways, I've since upgraded my CB from a handheld to a semi-permanently mounted set-up. It clears up space in the glove box and keeps me from having to dig around for the antenna cable every time I want to hook it up. I have also been using my Jeep as a mobile office more frequently. I have a 410W adapter that I currently run from the cigarette lighter, but I am planning to permanently mount it somewhere and hardwire it to the battery. Part of the problem is I'm running out of space to mount things in the interior.
IMG_2733.PNG

For the exterior, I cleaned up and painted the wheels. Totally necessary; I think it adds 5hp. I also switched from a smittybilt cargo net to the rugged ridge and it is 100 times better.
IMG_2734.PNG

The last update, is that it is time to start searching for a trailer to build. I have a baby on the way and after taking a couple of trips with the back seat in, I see it just won't be as comfortable traveling without a trailer. Sure, I could fit everything with the roof rack and hitch rack, but the hitch rack is a pain because it blocks access to the back door and the roof rack catches wind and kills mpgs. A simple off-road utility trailer just looks so much more convenient.

Any trailer suggestions?

Tupenny

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder I

Longwood, Florida
First Name
Boulder
Last Name
Dash
Member #

Haven't posted for awhile so here's an update on my Jeep.

When I bought it, I knew it had steering issues. After pushing it through death wobble for too long, it went from being frustrating and mildly unsafe to totally undriveable. The past 6 months have been a journey discovering how systemic the death wobble issue became. I have a new track bar, ball joints, wheel bearings, speed sensors, and drag link. She is back driving nicely (less some squeaking and clicking). I'll be going back in to grease everything and swap the U-joints soon. The death wobble has turned out to be very informative sine I've been swapping everything myself.

Anyways, I've since upgraded my CB from a handheld to a semi-permanently mounted set-up. It clears up space in the glove box and keeps me from having to dig around for the antenna cable every time I want to hook it up. I have also been using my Jeep as a mobile office more frequently. I have a 410W adapter that I currently run from the cigarette lighter, but I am planning to permanently mount it somewhere and hardwire it to the battery. Part of the problem is I'm running out of space to mount things in the interior.
View attachment 107831

For the exterior, I cleaned up and painted the wheels. Totally necessary; I think it adds 5hp. I also switched from a smittybilt cargo net to the rugged ridge and it is 100 times better.
View attachment 107832

The last update, is that it is time to start searching for a trailer to build. I have a baby on the way and after taking a couple of trips with the back seat in, I see it just won't be as comfortable traveling without a trailer. Sure, I could fit everything with the roof rack and hitch rack, but the hitch rack is a pain because it blocks access to the back door and the roof rack catches wind and kills mpgs. A simple off-road utility trailer just looks so much more convenient.

Any trailer suggestions?
No suggestions for a trailer, however I like what you're doing. Keep it up!

Reactions: MtnManAlex