Santa Clara, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Tsukamoto
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6EXP
Hey Truckee! I'm brainstorming the exact same thing since my girlfriend and I are heading out to the trails for the holiday as well.

What equipment will you have with you?

CA is tough because of the fire restrictions. Since I won't have a fire, I can't use a dutch oven. I think stove-top will be my only option. Because of the weather and our limited equipment, I think we'll have to go with a non-traditional meal.

Perhaps steaks and roasted veggies?

Truckee

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Bay Area, CA
I’ll be in Death Valley. Fire restrictions there have been lifted as of 10/14 but campfires are limited to NPS fire rings... which is not really “on the trail.”

I’m thinking about splitting a small turkey in half and frying it... maybe. That’s all I have so far.

Reactions: shigeta

shigeta

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Santa Clara, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Tsukamoto
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6EXP
Hah. Well, we'll see you there! Our plan was DVNP as well!

I need to do a bit more research for inspiration. I'll be sure to share notes should I find anything particularly appealing.

Cheers!

Reactions: Truckee

shoredreamer

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Santa Cruz
First Name
Chris
Last Name
RRU
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6AZV
We are also doing Thanksgiving on the trail this year. We should be somewhere between DV and Mojave Preserve, not sure yet. Hoping to find a good camp spot on Thursday, start cooking early. My wife has been looking turkey options with an Instant Pot or maybe just BBQ a couple pieces of turkey. The sides should be easy. We will see, but it should be fun and memorable for the kids and us.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
we did thanksgiving last year camping in north arkansas (wife and 2 sons in college) and to be funny, i bought turkey SPAM, box of stove top stuffing and a can of cranberry sauce for our thanksgiving meal out in the boonies. it actually turned out pretty good and we are definitely doing it again this year.

1605004911855.png

shigeta

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Santa Clara, CA, USA
First Name
James
Last Name
Tsukamoto
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6EXP
we did thanksgiving last year camping in north arkansas (wife and 2 sons in college) and to be funny, i bought turkey SPAM, box of stove top stuffing and a can of cranberry sauce for our thanksgiving meal out in the boonies. it actually turned out pretty good and we are definitely doing it again this year.
As a Japanese American, I grew up on Spam. While the sheer number of flavors is impressive, the thing that blows me away is that most of them are pretty dang good. Admittedly I haven't tried the turkey flavor; this might be the most appropriate occasion to do so!

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Hey Truckee! I'm brainstorming the exact same thing since my girlfriend and I are heading out to the trails for the holiday as well.

What equipment will you have with you?

CA is tough because of the fire restrictions. Since I won't have a fire, I can't use a dutch oven. I think stove-top will be my only option. Because of the weather and our limited equipment, I think we'll have to go with a non-traditional meal.

Perhaps steaks and roasted veggies?
Turkey is not set in stone. If traditional American (in some homes) is wanted you could cook the turkey or game birds (I like Ginny hens) at home before you leave and reheat on a one burner gas stove and lid covered pot or eat cold. Regardless of the meal, the outing sounds great. Bacon and tomato sandwiches is always great anytime. So is spam and eggs any style ! Treat it like a picnic since it's just a couple of days.

I wanted to spend Thanksgiving on the trail but my request got shot down. And since it is her favorite holiday I will be nice and cooperate! :smirk:
For some, turkey day is a must family gathering day. It was for me when I had a lot of family. Happy turkey day !

copperblack

Rank 0

Contributor I

KS
First Name
Tran
Last Name
Lany

View attachment 176297
this would be great just don't tell your fam that it's spam and plate it like this
560bb617def1f08b23094465dbdb6ca3.jpg

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I would save bird for at home. I deep fried a turkey 200 miles into Baja on the beach with mashed potatoes veggie medley and green salad for 10 people, it was kind a pain. The next night we had lobsters and steamers with rice and peanut cold slaw.
This year I am planing rolled prime rib points, with a blue cheese, chives, garlic, butter (pre made). Green beans with pecans an red onions. A salad of fennel, avocado, shallots.
I eat Keto other wise I would be halving Waldorf salad and maybe a rice with coconut and apricot and pineapple.
I will cook the beef ether in a pan or over a charcoal fire depending on the fire restrictions. All this will be done a 2 burner and maybe a open fire.

• Wow
Reactions: Boort

Geo Explore and Adventure

Rank VI

Endurance II

CHARLOTTE
First Name
Barry
Last Name
OReilly
Member #

Planning on heading west into the North Carolinas mountains for Thanksgiving, Wife and two sons (high schoolers), each of us is responsible for cooking at least one meal on the campfire, will share recipes when we return. Should be interesting to see what everyone cooks, not sure about the turkey but I plan on using the Dutch Oven for one of my meals.