Enthusiast III

Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

Hello Everyone,

It has been a while since I have been out due to a rough two years but everything is looking promising now. I am actually interested in doing a small camp in Georgia where I can see some different cultures and mountains. So far I am looking at Hiawassee and Helen GA. But I would also like to attain a good campground . I am not looking to do major off-roading as I need to attain self recovery gear again and the funds are going into my project car at the moment.

Any suggestions? Keep in Mind, I am currently in Jacksonville, FL and I dont' necessarily need to go to Hiawassee

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

If you want develped camping, the above will do. Several really nice dispersed camp sites in the area. Blue Ridge is a neat little town and the mountains west of there have several camping options. Not sure what’s open or not in winter.

Kaioken

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

If you want develped camping, the above will do. Several really nice dispersed camp sites in the area. Blue Ridge is a neat little town and the mountains west of there have several camping options. Not sure what’s open or not in winter.
Developed is nice, but I can do some off the grid as well. I don't have recovery gear yet so I I want to go in to crazy. Have any other suggestions?

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Developed is nice, but I can do some off the grid as well. I don't have recovery gear yet so I I want to go in to crazy. Have any other suggestions?
In my opinion, the Georgia Traverse west of Helen is pretty easy and doesn’t require recovery gear. Some great camping options on West Wolf Creek Road. The GA Traverse map would be helpful in locating other sites.

Reactions: Kaioken

Kaioken

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Jacksonville, FL, USA
First Name
Jay
Last Name
Casiano
Member #

In my opinion, the Georgia Traverse west of Helen is pretty easy and doesn’t require recovery gear. Some great camping options on West Wolf Creek Road. The GA Traverse map would be helpful in locating other sites.
I'll take a look, of I I do it for thanksgiving, definitely between thanksgiving and xmas

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
the wife and i go to vogel state park a good bit and love its location to everything and it is a very nice and clean campground with heated bath houses and laundry. its about 30 min south of helen and there are a lot of nice hikes all around. that's our favorite area in georgia

tallulah falls is a bit north of vogel and has the falls that you can hike. its where the movie Deliverance was filmed....when the wind is just right, you can still hear ned beatty squealing like a pig thru the trees

Last edited:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
the wife and i go to vogel state park a good bit and love its location to everything and it is a very nice and clean campground with heated bath houses and laundry. its about 30 min south of helen and there are a lot of nice hikes all around. that's our favorite area in georgia

tallulah falls is a bit north of vogel and has the falls that you can hike. its where the movie Deliverance was filmed....when the wind is just right, you can still hear ned beatty squealing like a pig thru the trees

I searched for Vogel State Park on Google Earth and unless I'm mistaken it's actually NW of Helen not far from the Mountain Crossing store that is on the Appalachian Trail, very cool area!