Member I

Arlington, TX, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Mizell
Member #

Good afternoon OB Family -

My wife and I are looking to do our first BIG BIG cross country, multi-national park trip this October for our 6th Wedding anniversary.

We are leaving from DFW Texas October 16th, driving straight to Yosemite and staying October 18th thru 20th (leaving that day). We have the majority of the trip planned out, AFTER leaving the Yosemite area, but we are looking for some guidance while at Yosemite. First time to this park, not sure what permits to get or where the best places to stay are (camping or lodging). Any and all info about the park and stuff to do for a couple days would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

YOTA4FUN

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Fort Worth, TX, USA
First Name
Corey
Last Name
Albright
Member #

Wow Jake, sounds like an epic trip. Unfortunately, being new to this whole overlanding thing, I don't have any advice for you. Living in the metroplex myself (north Fort Worth) I can totally understand the desire to get out on an adventure like this. Good luck and have fun!

OtherOrb

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Flagstaff, AZ
First Name
Moses
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7QIF
That late in the year, many of the northerly campgrounds will be closed. Tioga road will probably still be open, but weather is getting more weird every year, so you'll definitely want to check ahead of time if you plan to go in through the north. As of 1 April, snowpack in Yosemite was 176% of normal.