Louisburg, NC, USA
First Name
Curt
Last Name
Wall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJF733
Hey guys. I am looking at the possibility of a job transfer from here in NC to just on the west side of Fort Worth, TX. I'm farily familiar with Texas and the DFW area and have some family there but it's mostly been vacations here and there over the last 15 or 20 years. What is the Overland Scene like? Am i looking at a 3 hour drive to go anywhere to do some decent trips? I like the prospect of actually being able to hit up New Mexico and other states compared to living here in NC. But wanted to get some info from those in this group. Any rough pointers on living just outside the fort worth area would be appreciated as well. Thanks in adavance!

Reactions: Boostpowered

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Hey guys. I am looking at the possibility of a job transfer from here in NC to just on the west side of Fort Worth, TX. I'm farily familiar with Texas and the DFW area and have some family there but it's mostly been vacations here and there over the last 15 or 20 years. What is the Overland Scene like? Am i looking at a 3 hour drive to go anywhere to do some decent trips? I like the prospect of actually being able to hit up New Mexico and other states compared to living here in NC. But wanted to get some info from those in this group. Any rough pointers on living just outside the fort worth area would be appreciated as well. Thanks in adavance!
West side of FT Worth is where I’d live if I moved back to dfw. That also gives you an hour head start going toward New Mexico and Colorado. There are places to explore, with camping on private land within Texas as well. The epic views and such do requ some driving time.

Reactions: Maverick9110E

kwill

Rank II

Enthusiast III

TX
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Williams
Big Bend. There is a National Park and a State Park with lots of good trails. Bonus: from there it is an easy drive into NM and on up to CO.

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

To the south, Big Bend NP and several other areas.

Texas Hill Country is what is closest to DFW.

About 7 hours NW in Amarillo, Jeep has one of their national events at Palo Duro SP and I just read a private group is offering memberships to a newly developed park inside thr SP as well.

The private group is on Facebook

Otherwise, New Mexico is unique and amazing. Take a look at NMBR and the classes and trips they offer through some amazing places in NM.

And then there is southern Colorado which there is a ton of info across this site about.