Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Hey folks, we're moving to Nashville in the fall, and I'm just looking for some high level info on camping and routes in the Tennessee area? Honestly, It won't be worse than Texas-where camping is limited to state parks and private campgrounds. We're not hardcore-we have two toddlers, and just want to camp off grid and enjoy the peace and quiet of nature. I have a way overbuilt rig for what we do (lifted 4runner with a home-built trailer and RTT combo). Mostly 1 and 2 night weekend trips for us.

I know Tennessee has a pretty good sized overlanding group that does meetups. I also have heard of the Georgia Traverse. I'm honestly looking for just basic info on where to go, and the type of boondocking camping that exists in Tennessee as a state. How easy is it to boondock? Are there little known routes or areas or should we just explore public land? Any particular parks or public land areas recommended for especially good camping?
Anything anybody has to offer would be great!

Landblazer

Rank III

Contributor III

Bell Buckle, TN
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Cobb
Member #

Nice post, glad to have a Texan in Tennessee. Now to help answer some of this the best I can. (I am no expert) TN does not have the most abundant overloading locations. Especially middle TN. I live just south of Murfreesboro, TN. The best options for us is the Cherokee National Forrest that also connects with the Chattahoochee National Forrest. This is all south and east of us. The GA Traverse is a great voyage along N. GA that would be great for your setup and family needs from what you have listed. I plan to do it with my wife in October. Also a nice day trip would be Nemo Tunnel on your way to Knoxville. That’s an awesome place to go check out. Look it up on YouTube. Looking west up 24 there is Land Between the Lakes and they have some nice camping and off road trails there. North east into KY and WV is the KAT. That is an extensive route that can be quite serious in places from what I’ve seen. Long story short… there is a bit to do, usually requires a good bit of travel but is all well worth it.

Reactions: Schake

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

We're stuck over in West TN just starting out, and doesn't seem to be much nearby. That said, I'm thinking of giving Land Between the Lakes a try, probably around November.

Reactions: Landblazer

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Sorry to see you go. Hope you you guys have a safe move.