Everson, PA, USA
First Name
MICHAEL
Last Name
SULKOWSKI
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTB684
My wife, 2 friends, and I are planning a trip for September. We are starting in Pigeon Forge. We are going to stop in Lynchburg, Nashville, Bowling Green, Evansville(start of KY Burbon Trail), Louisville, Lexington, then to Weston WV. We want to hit as much dirt/back roads as we can. Have plans to hit the Tennessee Dirt Devil Trails as well as DBBB. Anyone else have any suggestions? We will be traveling in my leveled Sierra on 33's and my buddy's Level Cummins on 33's.

Reactions: vanbuskirk

Bondster

Rank I

Enthusiast I

KY
First Name
Brett
Last Name
Bond
When you leave Nashville you can take I-24 West to exit 65 and go through Land Between the Lakes. Their are a bunch of trails, an OHV park, firing range, great fishing and a lot of places to camp. It's about 2 hours to Bowling Green from there.

NinerMikeMike

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Liberty Township, OH
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maratea
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8MEO
I have run most of the DBBB at one time or another - your equipment should not hold you back. Because the DBBB is a circular route, you can hit some or all of it without getting too far off your line of intended travel. Additionally, the DBBB is right in the middle of the Daniel Boone National Forest, so you have dispersed camping opportunities there, as well as day hikes and general sightseeing. Beautiful country. And if you want to catch some local flavor, Miguel's Pizza on Rt 11 is a great stop. You'll find a mix of local rock climbers, tourists, and 4 wheelers there for a slice of pie. Safe travels!

Reactions: vanbuskirk

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
Not to hijack the thread but my GF and I will also be on the DBBB soon. Any must see portions or any sections to avoid if traveling without a second vehicle? Thanks

NinerMikeMike

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Liberty Township, OH
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Maratea
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8MEO
Not to hijack the thread but my GF and I will also be on the DBBB soon. Any must see portions or any sections to avoid if traveling without a second vehicle? Thanks
IMHO it's the weather more than the route to be concerned with. If it's been dry, everything is generally passable, if raining or recently wet, you'll encounter mud and possibly washouts, and use extra care on the water crossings. Be sure to bring a saw and other tools for trail clearing - as this is not a park, there is no scheduled maintenance. A downed limb or tree on a tight part of the route can be a headache. The DBBB has a facebook page - folks will sometimes post or comment about any issues encountered.

I am probably too cautious, but I would not run the DBBB single vehicle. There's no substitute for help when you need it.

As for must see's, run the NADA Tunnel on Rt 77, it's kinda cool. And from Rt 715, there are a number of pulloffs with out and back walking trails to overlooks, rock formations, etc.

Have Fun!

Dustinfromohio

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Wooster, OH, USA
First Name
Dustin
Last Name
Parsons
IMHO it's the weather more than the route to be concerned with. If it's been dry, everything is generally passable, if raining or recently wet, you'll encounter mud and possibly washouts, and use extra care on the water crossings. Be sure to bring a saw and other tools for trail clearing - as this is not a park, there is no scheduled maintenance. A downed limb or tree on a tight part of the route can be a headache. The DBBB has a facebook page - folks will sometimes post or comment about any issues encountered.

I am probably too cautious, but I would not run the DBBB single vehicle. There's no substitute for help when you need it.

As for must see's, run the NADA Tunnel on Rt 77, it's kinda cool. And from Rt 715, there are a number of pulloffs with out and back walking trails to overlooks, rock formations, etc.

Have Fun!
Thank you, this information is super helpful! I’ll keep an eye on the weather and use caution. Personally I’m all for a little misadventure but I’m trying to hook the GF on my new hobby and I can’t have any mishaps first time out of the gate!