Teardrop Trailer and water proofing

• HTML tutorial

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

One of the little trailers I saw at the Expo was by OregonTrailers.net called a Do-Drop. It had been linex'd and it has me wondering about the effectiveness of that coating and preventing water issues on a wood box long term.

My wife loves the idea of a teardrop, and has Highly suggested I think in that direction rather than say the XVenture XV-3 with a RTT. OK I get it, no ladders in the night or frosty mornings to desend, but I want to get some input about viable longevity of such protective coatings.
I have been on a search for the best solution for us, The Patriot X2, the Turtleback and even the Conquest 310 all are contenders, and very off-road capable. None however are a pull over and climb in like a teardrop and the cuteness factor has its own appeal.

So please chime in as I have about researched to my wits end.
--
Thanks,
Rick

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

huh, sort of thought that I would get at least some input on this post. Anyone?
Maybe I am just errant in thinking that coating a teardrop in that manner as they did could be a good idea.
--
Rick

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

@ColoradoRick

There are a few threads here talking about the Hiker off road teardrop.
http://hikertrailer.net/our-models/5ft-x-8ft-trailers/5x8-off-road-deluxe/

I'd also suggest looking at the Socal Teardrops “Krawler” of "XS510" trailers http://www.socalteardrops.com/page.php?p=34&t=Off-Road Trailers

I ended up going with a Chalet Hardside popup that's been modified for Offroad. It's bigger and wider than a teardrop but I can fully stand up in it. It's great if I'm heading out with the family but if I camp alone I either sleep in the bed of the truck or pop a tent.

Boort

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

Thanks Boort,
Yeah I have been looking and looking and looking. The Hiker has its appeal to me but my wife was more like "meh". I have had a long conversation with a guy who has a SoCal teardrop franchise and from that conversation, really, is the heart of what drives my question about water proofing them. He said his are more prepped for wetter weather than some teardrops that I may find down south, but didn't really elaborate on what that means. Then.. at the overland expo I came across that little teardrop all "line-X'd" or "Rhino Lined" up.. or whatever the coating was. It has my interest, looks like it added quite a bit of weight and it was still being dragged around to test its effectiveness, but in Oregon, or anywhere in the great north west, they understand what water does to wood... so maybe that is the right answer.
--
Rick

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Rick ( @ColoradoRick )

If you're in Oregon, have you talked to the folks at Oregon Trailer? I'd forgotten about their little Gem called the TerraDrop (http://www.oregontrailer.net/terradrop.html) It looked capable but I cut it from my list when I found the base price was like $15k. If I were chasing a teardrop in that neighborhood I'd get one of the smaller conqueror trailers for like $18k (http://conqueror4x4usa.com)

Not sure what your woodworking / metal working skills are, but I considered building one. If you want waterproof check out the kit from CLC boats. These guys have been building and selling wooden boats for years and recently released a teardrop kit. ( http://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/recreational-vehicles/clc-teardrop-trailer.html ) It's more spaceship looking and less "Overland" in appearance. You'd likely want to find a more suitable overland trailer frame to land the teardrop pod on. Alternatively you could build a more normal looking teardrop and use their fiberglass technique to waterproof it. Let me know if you want to look at any plans I have a bunch of free ones that I was considering and links to more commercial ones. I'd think the fiberglass would likely way the same or less than the Rino/LineX liner and is well proven to work on boats.

Boort

BigAZAdventures

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Arizona
Member #

Glad to see I am not the only one trying to figure out which trailer to buy.

I have narrowed my options down to three: Moby1, Socal and the Xventure. I like the teardrops because I can sleep at least two inside. The Xventure I like because it gives me more cargo options.

Rubiconcruiser

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

So Georgia
Member #

One of the little trailers I saw at the Expo was by OregonTrailers.net called a Do-Drop. It had been linex'd and it has me wondering about the effectiveness of that coating and preventing water issues on a wood box long term.

My wife loves the idea of a teardrop, and has Highly suggested I think in that direction rather than say the XVenture XV-3 with a RTT. OK I get it, no ladders in the night or frosty mornings to desend, but I want to get some input about viable longevity of such protective coatings.
I have been on a search for the best solution for us, The Patriot X2, the Turtleback and even the Conquest 310 all are contenders, and very off-road capable. None however are a pull over and climb in like a teardrop and the cuteness factor has its own appeal.

So please chime in as I have about researched to my wits end.
--
Thanks,
Rick
You cannot beat the Turtleback she's very well built, won't criticize her as the owner and I are friends , linex is about as good as it gets, that and Rhino liner, it all adds significant weight and you need to have every bolt for mounting anything in place due to the fact if you break the membrane you allow moisture access to penetrate the lining build her and travel safely

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: ColoradoRick

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

You cannot beat the Turtleback she's very well built, won't criticize her as the owner and I are friends , linex is about as good as it gets, that and Rhino liner, it all adds significant weight and you need to have every bolt for mounting anything in place due to the fact if you break the membrane you allow moisture access to penetrate the lining build her and travel safely

Yeah I really like the TB, Had some time to chat with some good ole' boys who were showing theirs at the expo. I defiantly like them, the wife is just sort of luke warm on that style ... so far.. lol
I hadn't thought about the seal of nuts, bolts and screws.. good thinking on that one.
--
Rick

Delete Me

Rank I

Contributor III

Texas
The TB expedition looks like a great trailer and a member has one for sale on this site. Great trailer in fact. However, its inside out. I definitely want to sleep inside.

Delete Me

Rank I

Contributor III

Texas
I had LineX sprayed in the bed of my truck (6.5 foot bed $480). The brand has several diff coatings to accomodate anything from a pickup truck bed to commercial equipment. I contacted them to discuss spraying LineX on a trailer but didn't follow up. It isn't cheap but its a very good product. Its sprayed on hot and dries quickly, requiring special paint equipment. Not sure about the weight. You build up the thickness and so weight would vary.

I think spraying LineX is more about durability than trying to seal out moisture. Those guys at Oregon Trailer are true craftsmen and I don't see them with a moisture problem. Could be wrong but I've seen no complaints on the web. Makes for a toughened up exterior that I wouldn't be afraid to drag past rocks or get scraped by tree limbs.

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

I wrote them a few weeks after the expo asking about a timeline for the testing on the Do-Drop with the coating. Haven't really heard back. One of the brothers was talking to be mentioned he thought it might be a bit thick of an application this first go around. Still I am curious as it looks like a solid solution. If they answer I will post the reply.
--
Rick

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
After having read through this pretty quickly, I'm not sure I get why you want to use LineX on the outside... is it only for waterproofing?

It's been mentioned about fasteners and what you have to do if you need to remove or even tighten them, so it's not at all forgiving that way.

Also, if you have any bedliner that spans a joint, and there's any flex in that joint, you risk cracking and then compromise of that joint. And as a trailer goes down a road, or a trail, there will be flex, and therefore probably cracking of the coating.

If you want to waterproof it, start with really good joints, good craftsmanship, and the treat the joints with a seam sealer and/or water proof exterior treatment if it's made of wood.

If it's made of metal, the joints are usually built, bolted or welded such that a coating of seam-sealer takes care of any issues.

Good luck, interested to see where you land, I'm going to be a trailer owner pretty soon, very stoked about that!

Dan.

Delete Me

Rank I

Contributor III

Texas
Forgot to say ... your not going to be selling a black bed liner sprayed trailer in Texas. Its been 100+ degrees lately and the BLACK trailer would be nothing more than an easy bake oven.

Having said that ... I think spraying bed liner on the belly of the trailer and wrapping it up the sides would be an awesome idea for improving durability. Instead of having diamond plate part way up the side, and creating a seam on the side of the trailer, you could just spray LineX part way up the side and give it a finished edge. No seams. Just don't paint it black.

Reactions: ColoradoRick

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

Forgot to say ... your not going to be selling a black bed liner sprayed trailer in Texas. Its been 100+ degrees lately and the BLACK trailer would be nothing more than an easy bake oven.

Having said that ... I think spraying bed liner on the belly of the trailer and wrapping it up the sides would be an awesome idea for improving durability. Instead of having diamond plate part way up the side, and creating a seam on the side of the trailer, you could just spray LineX part way up the side and give it a finished edge. No seams. Just don't paint it black.
Sorry for the late reply, been pretty busy.

That too is a interesting idea....I don't really have it in for a lineX'd trailer, just saw it at the expo and thought dang... I need to look into this a little more. I think it is a pretty interesting idea and my wife thinks those are "cute". That said.. weight, someone else mentioned covering or not covering fasteners for repairs etc... , and black most certainly is going to get hot in the sun.. But.. still am pondering it if I go the teardrop route. Today as I work in the yard, I seem to be leaning more toward the Xventure 3 as I am moving more and more bark and wood chips a bucket at a time... a teardrop or any other non-utility trailer would just be sitting there for all of this.. lol.. ah the ways to justify things.
A friend told me once that a man can justify any expense if they call it a hobby, that was as we were being flown in for a 7 day float trip up in AK.
Gotta hang on to that one.

Delete Me

Rank I

Contributor III

Texas
Sorry for the late reply, been pretty busy.
I think it is a pretty interesting idea and my wife thinks those are "cute". That said.. weight, someone else mentioned covering or not covering fasteners for repairs etc...
Gotta hang on to that one.
<opinion> Painting over fasteners? Well you just never do that; not with bed liner nor any other application. Pieces are painted and assembled. </opinion>

Reactions: VCeXpedition

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

<opinion> Painting over fasteners? Well you just never do that; not with bed liner nor any other application. Pieces are painted and assembled. </opinion>
Not my idea for sure. Someone just happened to mention some coating processes like LineX may be applied after the trailer is built, thus coating everything. I get what you are saying.

Chap442

Rank 0

Traveler I

Glad to see I am not the only one trying to figure out which trailer to buy.

I have narrowed my options down to three: Moby1, Socal and the Xventure. I like the teardrops because I can sleep at least two inside. The Xventure I like because it gives me more cargo options.
I am interested also

ColoradoRick

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Central Coast CA
Member #

I had LineX sprayed in the bed of my truck (6.5 foot bed $480). The brand has several diff coatings to accomodate anything from a pickup truck bed to commercial equipment. I contacted them to discuss spraying LineX on a trailer but didn't follow up. It isn't cheap but its a very good product. Its sprayed on hot and dries quickly, requiring special paint equipment. Not sure about the weight. You build up the thickness and so weight would vary.

I think spraying LineX is more about durability than trying to seal out moisture. Those guys at Oregon Trailer are true craftsmen and I don't see them with a moisture problem. Could be wrong but I've seen no complaints on the web. Makes for a toughened up exterior that I wouldn't be afraid to drag past rocks or get scraped by tree limbs.
Years ago I had my last truck bed sprayed with something called ArmaCoat. It was incredible, at the time it had a finer texture to what others like Rhino and LineX were spraying. I really really liked it. Never had a single issue with it and it cleaned up well. The ground the truck bed clean in the prep and air hosed it out. Not sure what they do on wood for prep, but in my truck bed... gotta say that stuff was impressive.
I agree with you about OT, at least with what we saw at the booth at Overland Expo. But again.. it is a trial run on that little thing so Hopefully they post results of the experiment somewhere.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I believe line x makes a product for spraying entire car bodies now. It's becoming popular with the cool car crowd and is supposed to be thinner and lighter but still durable. I had them spray a bed with the regular stuff once and was impressed with the quality. The guy was able to mask bolts I didn't want covered so maybe that would be an option. It's a franchise so it may be shop to shop on the experience and willingness to do the extra work.

Geisterbild

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bellingham, MA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Cunniff
Member #

interesting thread, I am glad I read through this. I have been in the market for a teardrop and have also wondered about extra waterproofing. I am also leaning towards lining the undercarriage first to keep the salt water from destroying the trailer in the winter (live in New England). Have any of you purchased a teardrop yet? Just curious of any things to look out for to keep the trailer in good shape for many years, and obviously water is the trailers worst enemy.