Taking my first trip!

• HTML tutorial

Bobert_60

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kansas
I'm going on my first overland trip, were going to head to Colorado to hit trails on the 550 (imogene, black bear, engineer) and the like.

I have a 4runner with a 3" lift and 31" ko2s on it and ATRAC. It's an 06 limited so it has running boards, I was wondering if I should remove them or if it's not going to make a huge difference.

Also for recovery should I get a set of Maxtrax or cheap Treds, I dont think we will get stuck but it's good just in case right?

Send me any other pointers or advice if you have any!

Reactions: SubeeBen
S

SubeeBen

Ditch the idea of maxtrax & go with x bull. $150 ish for 2 sets.

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Huelsman
I'm going on my first overland trip, were going to head to Colorado to hit trails on the 550 (imogene, black bear, engineer) and the like.

I have a 4runner with a 3" lift and 31" ko2s on it and ATRAC. It's an 06 limited so it has running boards, I was wondering if I should remove them or if it's not going to make a huge difference.

Also for recovery should I get a set of Maxtrax or cheap Treds, I dont think we will get stuck but it's good just in case right?

Send me any other pointers or advice if you have any!
When are you going? Didn’t think the passes were open yet.

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I would remove the running board for sure. Not that any of those trails are all that difficult but better safe than messing them up. What time of year are you going? Most of those trails won't open until July this season. I didn't have any issues where I needed any recovery boards when I was there and it rained pretty hard for about an hour while we were at Animos Forks. We immediatly headed up California gulch and then ran corkscrew looking for a dispersed camp site so we would be near 550 for the next days trail run. (Was meeting someone in Ouray. It was the best trip I've done really want to get back down there ASAP

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobert_60

Wdfnds

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Decatur Illinois
First Name
David
Last Name
Staff
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N9sal
I spent several days on the trails around Silverton and Ouray last fall. I was not in need of any recovery, but you never know if you will. I took running boards off my truck just to give a little more clearance. I have a long wheelbase. Makes a little more work getting in and out of it. I had a Trailblazer that running boards. Always got stuck in the snow. As soon as I took them off, I had no problems.

Reactions: Bobert_60

Bobert_60

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Kansas
I would remove the running board for sure. Not that any of those trails are all that difficult but better safe than messing them up. What time of year are you going? Most of those trails won't open until July this season. I didn't have any issues where I needed any recovery boards when I was there and it rained pretty hard for about an hour while we were at Animos Forks. We immediatly headed up California gulch and then ran corkscrew looking for a dispersed camp site so we would be near 550 for the next days trail run. (Was meeting someone in Ouray. It was the best trip I've done really want to get back down there ASAP
I'm going in June, and I wastn aware they opened in july, I'll have to double check which trails are open