• HTML tutorial

IronPercheron

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Sweeny Texas
Member #

I have the cheap tractor supply goods.

But the winch is in my toolbox unless it's in use so it will last fine for me.... we will see

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

AmSteel Blue from Samson was made to live in a marine environment. Salt, uv rays, engine oil, coolant etc. should not effect your synthetic winchline. It's heat and abrasion that degrades your line which should have a rock/chafe guard for protection. An 8' guard should come close to covering the last layer of rope when it's spooled onto the drum.

Sansom actually has an app for your phone that includes not only splicing instructions, but an Abrasion Guide. It illustrates 7 varying levels of deterioration, both internal and external, and gives their recommendation on replacement. It's important to remember that wear on the inside of your line can cause it to break, even when the outer section looks perfectly fine. Synthetic line actually flattens when under tension (almost resembling a ribbon), but it should still birdcage easily. If the individual fibers are cut or frayed, it's the cumulative reduction in diameter of the rope that determines if it should be retired or not.

Sand is probably the worst for abrasion IN your rope. Rocks are the worst for abrasion ON your rope. The grains of sand are usually bigger than dirt and can cut like glass on very small scales. It doesn't seem like much, but the high loads incurred when winching can really take their toll. The best thing to do is wash your line. You can either run it through a bucket of soapy water, or just rinse it off with a garden hose. When using the hose, spray down the concrete first to clear away the grit. Then starting from one end, spray down the length of the rope. Spraying across it can embed debris into the line, the exact thing you're trying to fix!

Trail Wonky

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Bellingham WA
Member #

Yeah all the elements will slowly degrade most synthetic winch lines which are made up of a loose braid Dyneema synthetic material. Dirt and sand getting into the fibers also degrades the line. And with a loose braid synthetic line you tend to get more abrasion as it catches on everything. But not all synthetic winch lines are created equal.

Pretty much all are made of Dyneema. The most common is the standard lower end synthetic rope, Amsteel Blue type rope winch is a standard loose braid rope. It's good stuff and will do the job and longevity can be increased by taking care of it and keeping it out of the elements. Then there is Superline by Master Pull, also Dyneema, but it is pre-stretched, heat treated and coated with a polyurethane for added UV and chemical resistance and the braid is much tighter letting in fewer elements.

THEN there is Superline XD, also made my Master Pull which is their Superline rope with a cover over the entire line which is also UV protected and keeps moisture and dirt out of the interior of the line. The first image is Superline and the second is the Superline XD.

These lines also have a greater breaking strength to diameter so you can get a 100' of line on your winch drum. The orange material is a heat shield which protects the part of the rope that is against the metal winch drum, which can get hot. The black cover at the other end is a 3' rock guard that can be slid anywhere along the line to protect it from rocks or a high point on the ground. It is velcro and is usually removed during non-use.

I have had Superline XD on the front of my truck for 7 years with no signs of gradation whatsoever and it has gotten plenty of use. But you know how the saying goes; You get what you pay for. Very different price points!

superline.jpg

superline_xd.jpg

Reactions: Michael and boehml

Jelorian

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

SF Bay Area, CA
Member #

I seem to recall some winch line covers that I saw awhile back? Found a few links to posts on other forums, but no real place to buy it. It is a simple enough design. Made of neoprene or nylon material and cut the width of the winch spool. It had a cut out for where the winch line extends to the fairlead/hawse and used velcro to attach to itself.

Reactions: TMP and Trail Wonky