Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
I've looked through several of the posts about rust (Rig Cancer, War on Rust) but was hoping someone could educate or guide me on my particular situation. My tongue jack started to form rust spots after the winter. The issue is I cannot easily reach the spots (1st picture), as they are down inside the area welded to the stand. What is the best way to address this so it doesn't get worse or should I not be overlay concerned about it. What is the best approach to surface rust on the actual trailer, i.e. powered coating chips off and rust spot forms (2nd picture).

IMG_6257.jpg

IMG_6256.jpg

307dulaney

Rank VI

Advocate III

Wyoming, USA
First Name
Austin
Last Name
Dulaney
Member #

Oh man. I haven’t looked over the other threads so hopefully I’m not saying anything that’s been said…

Picture 1 if it were me I’d get all that you can cleaned out with a stiff wire pipe cleaner, then plug those corners up with some epoxy (like JB weld)

Picture 2 looks mostly superficial. Try wiping that rust off and maybe hit those trouble spots with some clear coat. It wouldn’t be a permanent repair but it would buy you time for sure and offer some protection from the elements. Those coatings are tough but nothing is perfect

pcstockton

Rank III

Advocate I

Portland, OR
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
S
Use Corroseal Cleaner. Rinse with water. Let dry, then brush on some corroseal. My buddy did a ton on his 1966 M416 trailer and it looks awesome. No need to repaint.

Reactions: Shahn