Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, NY, USA
First Name
Miguel
Last Name
Fuentes
Member #

Hello Freinds of overland-bound community i am planning to go Colorado and Utah and I was wondering if anyone would like to caravan from East Coast to Colorado we cam meet in the road I planning from June 27 to July 15 2020 it will be my first off road trip to those beautiful trails

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Hello Freinds of overland-bound community i am planning to go Colorado and Utah and I was wondering if anyone would like to caravan from East Coast to Colorado we cam meet in the road I planning from June 27 to July 15 2020 it will be my first off road trip to those beautiful trails
What CO/UT areas are you planning to visit?

Tacoma809

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, NY, USA
First Name
Miguel
Last Name
Fuentes
Member #

A hi Neal I am planing to go a least five trail in Colorado such as Alpine loop scenic Byways, Colorado. state Park , Wagon wheel trail in rio blancos county,Imogene pass and Utah I am planning to visit Zion National park, The Arches National park,canyon lands and the Dead horses point But if I Got members like you the can advise me for something diferente I open to any idea it will be my first trip hoping to meet more members in my journey

Tacoma809

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, NY, USA
First Name
Miguel
Last Name
Fuentes
Member #

Any recommendations for safe route for lonely wolf travel from NY to Colorado I was hoping to re group a couple members from East coast to this aventure in Colorado y Utah trails to feel what ours rig are capable to do and what we need to do to be better next time thanks for you help

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Miguel,

Since you're planning to do the Alpine Loop (Engineer & Cinnamon Passes), I would suggest you also do Placer/Picayune Gulch, Hurricane Pass, California Pass & Corkscrew Gulch in series to connect you over closer to Ouray to get you setup for Imogene(unless you just really want to do the Mineral Creek section of Engineer). There was so much snow last year that most of these high passes opened later than usual. I don't know what it will be like this year, but keep an eye on these sources to ensure those roads have opened:

Colorado Offroad Trail Reports on Facebook

I don't have any experience with Wagon Wheel and hadn't even heard of it until now.

The UT destinations will be amazing, but it will be freakin' hot! Be sure to look at the weather forecasts. Are you camping? I was there last year during similar weather and frankly we were pretty miserable much of the time.

Tacoma809

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, NY, USA
First Name
Miguel
Last Name
Fuentes
Member #

Whoa for Colorado unless I find partners I will try your subjection the other wise I will keep simple,I heard the my first choice I mentioned above it will take me three days to complete them and three day in Utah and about the weather again if I find Freinds I will camping the otherwise I will be back to town to the motels

ARIZ ST 8

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Chicago, IL
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Perlman
Hey - I'm planning a trip to CO with my friend (he's coming from AZ, I'm coming from IL). We're going to be out there in June (probably early). Our plan B is to head to Utah if the snow is blocking access to the Alpine Loop.

I'm planning a route that starts us off in Silverton, and then heads up towards Vail (leaving the Alpine Loop Trail in Lake City).

Let me know what you're planning, we can share ideas here.

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
I'm planning a route that starts us off in Silverton, and then heads up towards Vail (leaving the Alpine Loop Trail in Lake City).
Lake City would be the mid-point of the loop if you're starting from the Silverton side. You'll either be skipping Engineer or Cinnamon or doing one twice.

If it is open I encourage you to consider the full loop and then head over Picayne/Placer, California, Hurricane and Corkscrew and depart via Ouray. That would likely take an extra day.

ARIZ ST 8

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Chicago, IL
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
Perlman
Lake City would be the mid-point of the loop if you're starting from the Silverton side. You'll either be skipping Engineer or Cinnamon or doing one twice.

If it is open I encourage you to consider the full loop and then head over Picayne/Placer, California, Hurricane and Corkscrew and depart via Ouray. That would likely take an extra day.

Thanks. I'll look those up. Maybe it gets us closer to Moab from there and I can sneek that in. Do you have any GPX / KML files for reference with the Picayne/Placer route to depart via Ouray?

Neal A. Tew

Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Thanks. I'll look those up. Maybe it gets us closer to Moab from there and I can sneek that in. Do you have any GPX / KML files for reference with the Picayne/Placer route to depart via Ouray?
This is a great source for all those routes including gpx files.

They also have a Colorado high mountain page where you can find the status for these trails. Also, if you do Facebook, keep an eye on the Colorado Off-road Trail Reports page for trail openings and closures.

Tacoma809

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

New York, NY, USA
First Name
Miguel
Last Name
Fuentes
Member #

Hi Ariz st please keep posting you route I planning to go at the end of June but with this Coronavirus a lot of things will change at the school the I work ,I was planning to leave the last week of June now I going to play by hear but I still up graded my truck