Substitute for stitches (sutures’

• HTML tutorial
S

SubeeBen

Those are frickin awesome thanks for sharing. Have butterflies & super glue in most of my kits but these look sweet.

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
They work ok. I’ve used them lots of times and chose to do proper sutures over these. In the field they are an option but pricey and can be tough to apply to certain areas. Also, before you close any wound you need to ensure that it is properly cleaned out. Not just with drinkable water. That is fine for packing and covering but for closing you need a good irrigation of the wound which is tough to accomplish in the field.

It you wanted something more versatile and cheaper you can get 1/2 inch steri-strips and mastisol (makes the skin tacky to help the steri strips stick better) and close the wound without stitches. This also allows you to open parts of the wound if they start to become infected.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

I agree with El Solis, getting the wound clean is important and the least traumatic method to close it is best. I have had to use a suture kit on a friend in the field before, that is tough to do. Alcohol wipes, super glue and butterfly bandages are my go to. Worst case scenario, my trauma kit has a sterile syringe for wound irrigation and stapler loaded with 25 staples.

Reactions: Redbear and 64Trvlr

velo47

Rank VII
Launch Member

Member III

Albuquerque, NM, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Harland
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W3TAX
It you wanted something more versatile and cheaper you can get 1/2 inch steri-strips and mastisol (makes the skin tacky to help the steri strips stick better) and close the wound without stitches. This also allows you to open parts of the wound if they start to become infected.
We always used tincture of benzoin as an adhesive. Is Mastisol better because of less risk of allergic reaction?

oneleglance

Rank V

Contributor II

Phoenix, AZ, USA
First Name
LANCE
Last Name
BLAIR
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE7NKP
As an ICU RN who sees quite a few "self fixes" I completely agree that I would NOT close a wound with anything other than steri-strips in the field.
Lots of irrigation, lots of dressing changes and watch watch watch for infection.
I have seen so many wounds that had to be reopened, irrigated and debrided (tissue cut out due to infection, dirt).

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

@oneleglance. Completely agree. 10 years clinical and FDA research in the 2nd busiest burn center in the country, there is no better temp fix than steristrips after the obvious antimicrobial cleansing, etc. Those above are terrific for a controlled environment, but not the wilderness. It becomes on occlusive dressing which is no bueno in the boonies for more than a day.

splatterdab

Rank II

Contributor III

Atwater, CA, USA
First Name
RANDY
Last Name
BROWN
Member #

They work ok. I’ve used them lots of times and chose to do proper sutures over these. In the field they are an option but pricey and can be tough to apply to certain areas. Also, before you close any wound you need to ensure that it is properly cleaned out. Not just with drinkable water. That is fine for packing and covering but for closing you need a good irrigation of the wound which is tough to accomplish in the field.

I recently completed a SAR wilderness first Aid course. The recommendation was to do your absolute best in controlling the bleed and avoid suturing because of the risk of infection. What are your thoughts in this regard for those not trained in those specific medical procedures?

El Solis

Rank V
Investor

Traveler II

Livermore, CA, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6CQE
I agree with no suturing unless you know what you are doing. Sometimes it’s a simple closure but often it’s not. Cleaning the wound is the most important thing to do, then cover with a clean dressing.