STORAGE NOISE

• HTML tutorial

GoHeels

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Wilmington NC
Member #

So if I don't find some good cargo storage option to fit the rear cargo of the my Grand Cherokee, I plan to build my own.
The question: How do you guys keep your gear (camping, recovery etc) quite?
It's an old lifted jeep so i'm okay with a little noise, just wondering if you guys had any tips or tricks. I was thinking lining the storage area(I build) with some foam pads or carpet.

Lassen

Rank V

Member III

As @hardtrailz said, if you pack right, shouldn't be too much of a problem. One thing I do is after everything is packed I toss my sleeping bag and pillows -- yes, pillows! -- over the top of the load to help steady everything and then anything still rattling gets muffled well by sleeping bags and pillows.

Also, a sleeping bag over the load keeps it out of sight from passers-bys. You can tell something is there, but what is unknown.

4xFar Adventures

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Benefactor

San Francisco,CA
First Name
Brenton
Last Name
Corns
Member #

Fit as much as possible into each container and ratchet strap them down. If you DIY, you can pick your cases and build the storage around them so they fit perfectly. Outdoor carpet works great to reduce vibrations and keeps cases from sliding. That is a Pelican 1550 for reference, with a black one behind it.