Steens Mountain Loop Road

• HTML tutorial

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

Anyone have experience in mid-June on the Steens Mountain Loop Road? I'm planning a trip down there, and based on my work schedule, it's looking like mid-June is the time I'll have to go. Sounds like the road may not be open for the season yet (research tells me July-October is usually best)...

Of course, I know it's a gamble no matter what, just gathering anec-data at this point...

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
I attempted the loop in late June about 15 years ago. The gate was still shut and locked near the top. You might call the agency in charge of the gate and see if they might have a estimated time once you get closer. I hear usually first part of July is a good time to expect it to be open.

Not sure if you are planning any camping in the area or not. The only advice I have for you is "DON'T!". Unless you like DEET loving, tent infiltrating, clouds of mosquitoes.....No...Really this is a training ground for the mosquito special forces. You have been warned.

On a lighter note, I might say do the loop, if you can, and then head down to Fields and get a hamburger and milkshake. You'll thank me later. Then head back up into the Alvord Desert to spend the night. Much less mosquitoes and a cool area in its own right.

If you want to spend the night on the West side of the Steens I recommend a time after the first frost so you don't have to deal with the mosquitoes.

Hey, did I mention mosquitoes.....

Last edited:
Reactions: OffroadTreks

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I attempted the loop in late June about 15 years ago. The gate was still shut and locked near the top. You might call the agency in charge of the gate and see if they might have a estimated time once you get closer. I hear usually first part of July is a good time to expect it to be open.

Not sure if you are planning any camping in the area or not. The only advice I have for you is "DON'T!". Unless you like DEET loving, tent infiltrating, clouds of mosquitoes.....No...Really this is a training ground for the mosquito special forces. You have been warned.

On a lighter note, I might say do the loop, if you can, and then head down to Fields and get a hamburger and milkshake. You'll thank me later. Then head back up into the Alvord Desert to spend the night. Much less mosquitoes and a cool area in its own right.

If you want to spend the night on the East side of the Steens I recommend a time after the first frost so you don't have to deal with the mosquitoes.

Hey, did I mention mosquitoes.....
That's good intel, thank you. Camping was definitely part of the plan, or rather, MOST of the plan. I've seen a few posts elsewhere about mosquitoes, but definitely not to the extent you describe. I'm not super tasty for skeeters usually, but my wife is and she would hate me if I exposed her (and my 18 month old) to that. That does complicate things though... I'll have to think on it.

Regarding the Alvord and Fields, those were also going to be parts of the trip, I definitely want to try a night on the "playa" and one of those milkshakes...

Reactions: troutbum30

GHCOE

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

SW Idaho
That's good intel, thank you. Camping was definitely part of the plan, or rather, MOST of the plan. I've seen a few posts elsewhere about mosquitoes, but definitely not to the extent you describe. I'm not super tasty for skeeters usually, but my wife is and she would hate me if I exposed her (and my 18 month old) to that. That does complicate things though... I'll have to think on it.

Regarding the Alvord and Fields, those were also going to be parts of the trip, I definitely want to try a night on the "playa" and one of those milkshakes...
We where going to stay two nights in the area, but after the first night there was no way we where going to stay another. If you are in a trailer or camper you might be fine if there is not place for them to get in. If there is one little hole the size of a mosquito they will get in....

Luinil Explorations

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Wherever I am at the moment
First Name
Larrie is
Last Name
sharing our travels with the world.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7WDX
We were there in early September a few years ago. Gates were still open and ther was about three inches of snow on the road. Pretty slippery at the top. The Harney County Road Department, 541-573-6232, should be able to tell you if the road is open.

Poncate

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Waitsburg, Wa
First Name
Jus
Last Name
Tin
Member #

Steens are great. My wife and I had our honeymoon there many years ago. Camped out at fish lake and found some hot springs in the Alvord Desert outside of Fields. Have fun! Sorry I don't have any info on road conditions, it's just been too long since we were there.