Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I’ve had a Icom id5100a in my truck for several months now. It is wired to my auxiliary battery so I can have it on in camp and not worry about killing my starter battery. In the last few days I’ve noticed static coming from the radio base unit when the head unit is off. It has been raining a lot but nothing else is different. Any ideas as to cause and/or fix?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Maybe a ground loop issue? Are both leads wired to the battery? Is anything else on that battery as well?

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Try grounding the radio chassis. May be picking up static from the antenna. Possibly not well grounded when switched off (?)

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
I’ve got all my off accessory lighting wires to that battery. I’m in coastal cencal so we’ve been getting hit with tons of rain as well. Not sure if that’d do anything to the grounding.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

I would try removing the other accessories, personally I would do them one at a time to see if a particular accessory is causing the issue and if so I would look at that accessory specifically.
The rain could possibly be part of the issue, getting into a loose connection or into a light housing causing a short.

WTSMatt

Rank V

Advocate I

Monterey, CA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Stoddard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6TZY
Service Branch
Fire
Thanks all! Going to pul it indoors at work tomorrow and start with your guys suggestions and see where it leads. I’ll update.

Reactions: Prerunner1982

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

Get an AM radio and hold it up to each accessory when on, the one that that makes the static buzz on the AM radio is the issue. Cheap LED power supply.