Spare tire rotation

• HTML tutorial

The Klumps

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fenton, Missouri
Member #

The vast majority of us I'd wager have a full size spare, and alot of us have a matching rim on our spare.
My question is do you include your spare tire in when doing a rotation?
My last vehicle had a full spare, but a steel rim so I didn't.

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

No idea what most might do or what might be suggested by tire mfgs, but I do not include my spare in the rotation, even though it is the same type tire on the same type rim as all the others. The four tires that are rolling should wear fairly consistently to each other, and to enter in one new when you first rotate would, I think, be odd. I'd be thinking about it so much that I'd want to rotate more often so they would all be fairly well matched. I bet I could hear the difference.

What I wonder, with the 5-7yr life most tires are meant for these days, is if your spare is out of the weather, out of the sun, not in daily use and flexing all the time, will the rubber compounds it's made of last longer? Then you could use the same spare through a couple sets of rolling tires.

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I've been pondering this actually. I want to get my spare in the rotation, but first I'd need to get a 5th OEM wheel (I guess this isn't a "need" exactly, but I'd prefer to have a matching wheel instead of the steel spare wheel) and size up the spare to match my slightly larger General Grabbers. It's been part of my plan to do this, but I haven't had the money to do so yet. At what point is it too late to introduce a new tire into the rotation schedule?

Last edited:
Reactions: Road

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I have a full-time locker in the rear so I do not rotate in the spare because the diameter would be different than the rest of the tires causing issues. I've considered this extensively but ultimately I don't see the need. If I bought the same tires back-to-back, the second time I'd probably only buy 3, that the best old one and turn that into my spare tire and then run the 3 brand new with the "new" old spare tire which still has all of its tread left.

Currently, my spare tire is old but it's just that - a spare tire. I would never put it on with more than the intent to run it long enough to get the other tire repaired.

Reactions: Road