Solo on the old Route 66

• HTML tutorial

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

Thinking of doing a solo drive along the (existing) Route 66 from up near Joplin Mo out to Albuquerque NM. Looking at Google Maps and thinking of places to camp out. Anyone know of any places I can camp along the way? KOA's or state parks?
Any ideas or suggestions, let me know.

Reactions: Jimmy P

Red Earth Runner

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bethany, OK
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5AXG
Thinking of doing a solo drive along the (existing) Route 66 from up near Joplin Mo out to Albuquerque NM. Looking at Google Maps and thinking of places to camp out. Anyone know of any places I can camp along the way? KOA's or state parks?
Any ideas or suggestions, let me know.
Red Rock Canyon State Park west of OKC is a nice spot, as is Palo Duro State Park just east of Amarillo and Santa Rosa State Park at Santa Rosa. All provide connections to the historic road.

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

Did some more thinking on this.
Starting in Carthage Mo at the old Drive-in Theater. GPS - 37.173593, -94.368631
Ending in Albuquerque NM at the National Museum of Nuclear Science and History. GPS 35.065475, -106.533265

Going to start figuring out now some cool places to stop to visit along the way as well as camp spots.

Dates yet to be determined.

Last edited:

Silverback_WK2

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler I

Tontitown, AR
Member #

In what types of things are you interested?
Some random spots like the cross roads at the end of the movie Cast Away. I know it's not on Rt 66, but its not too far off.
Also, I'd like to see the OKC National Memorial again as well as the old city of Picher and U Drop Inn in Shamrock TX..
Not all this stuff is right on Rt 66, but close enough......
I'm slowly making a list.

roots66

Local Expert, Texas USA
Launch Member

Member III

Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
We did Route 66 specific drives on our way to the Grand Canyon starting in Amarillo. We took side trips to the Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Sunset Crater Volcano, and Meteor Crater. Seligman, AZ and Tucumcari, NM are the two best places to see were the inspiration for the movie "Cars" came from. There's a real good section of the original, historic road (way off I-40) between Seligman and Kingman.

We also reviewed the below link to get info on interesting Route 66 places.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
Been contemplating this myself. starting in Kingman and see how far east on 66 I could get. Following...

Reactions: Silverback_WK2

AZ Trooper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Peoria, AZ, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Edward
Member #

We did Route 66 specific drives on our way to the Grand Canyon starting in Amarillo. We took side trips to the Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, Sunset Crater Volcano, and Meteor Crater. Seligman, AZ and Tucumcari, NM are the two best places to see were the inspiration for the movie "Cars" came from. There's a real good section of the original, historic road (way off I-40) between Seligman and Kingman.

We also reviewed the below link to get info on interesting Route 66 places.
Too bad can’t go further through kingman. You are right, the stretch of original old Route 66 between seligman and kingman is great. There is a KOA in seligman and the Grand Canyon caverns is a great place to check out. Peach springs is interesting also.

DeltaBravo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Sun City, TX
First Name
Dennis
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG1N
Try to get to Oatman AZ while you're out that way. Cool town, and the burros are lots laughs!

Reactions: AZ Trooper

AZ Trooper

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Peoria, AZ, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Edward
Member #

Try to get to Oatman AZ while you're out that way. Cool town, and the burros are lots laughs!
There is a cool trail I saw online and would like to try. Its near Oatman.
The Mohave Milltown Railroad Trail.
Almost 10 miles long and between Mojave Valley and old Route 66.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
The Cozy Cone in Winslow, AZ is pretty cool. Aka, the Wigwam Hotel, the rooms are teepees.

the nearby Painted Desert is fantastic.
Are the rooms nice? Living in Show Low, I drive by there all the time when I am headed to Flagstaff or Vegas and I never see anyone staying there.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Are the rooms nice? Living in Show Low, I drive by there all the time when I am headed to Flagstaff or Vegas and I never see anyone staying there.
I’ve never stayed. I’ve always been passing through midday.