First Name
Marty
Last Name
Howes
Service Branch
USAF vet
It's time to go.
Selling the HQ15.
2019 demo model which I purchased in June 2020. Sold as a new unit with warranty.
Located in Ruidoso New Mexico.

After purchase I had RV's of America (ROA) install a McHitch,
and do a partial winterize mod which included:
water tank heaters and circulation pump and isolation valve for outside shower.

I've had it on a couple hunting trips in freezing temps and it performed perfectly well. So I've been in no rush to finish the winterization by having them install the extra heat duct and enclose the subfloor.

It's extremely comfortable to live in. The Bath/shower arrangement is wife approved and a pleasant luxury in the back country with the separate shower.
The McHitch and the trailer's high clearance, and solid suspension setup are great in the back country.
All camper accoutrements will go with the camper - cables, hoses, blocks and chocks, gas tanks...

If I were keeping it I would-
remove the factory kitchen table adjustable legs and install permanent legs that aren't so bulky.
inspect the wheel bearings, or possibly just replace them for good measure because they are known high wear items on the Black Series campers. I haven't put a ton of miles on the camper but I'd rather keep them like new. I'm a retired aircraft mechanic and I can't help but treat all my mechanical devices like that.

ROA just replaced, in June before the warranty expired, the general water tank.

Why selling? We just moved and the new place doesn't allow space for storing the camper. And If I'm honest I'm not so excited about pulling a trailer in the back country so I'm not willing to try and figure out the storage problem. Although if storage wasn't an issue I'd probably keep it.

The truck is available for purchase with the camper if anyone is interested. Seriously, it's a phenomenally performing setup.
The truck-
2012 6.7 Lariat Super Duty with 142xxx miles.
50 gallon fuel tank.
winch bumper with Warn 15k winch.
National Luna dual battery system so the camper can be connected to the truck charging system.
Ute flatbed and weather guard storage boxes.
Nav, moonroof, AC seats

Will not sell the truck without the camper so I humbly ask please don't waste our time by enquiring about it.
Camper or camper & truck package only
Clear title on both vehicles.
Both vehicles attentively maintained. After retiring from aviation, I worked as a service writer at a Ford dealership where the maintenance shop foreman of 22 years experience maintained my truck.
Everything in working order.
Have maintenance records and kept a log book for both vehicles since I've owned them.

Price- $37k for the camper. $65k for camper and truck package. Willing to negotiate a little with serious buyer.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: JoJoez

cortttt

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Western U.S.
First Name
cort
Last Name
Johnson
Sorry to see this was sold as we're considering one. Care to comment on what it's like getting this thing into backcountry and how far you went? I've never lugged a trailer behind me before - let alone one as capable (and heavy) as this one.

escadventure

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ruidoso, NM, USA
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Howes
Service Branch
USAF vet
I have previously owned slide in truck campers, so this was my first pull behind. It is pretty heavy for it's size but I pulled it with a 6.7 Super Duty and the McHitch. It was a great pair. And the camper would go anywhere the truck would. Short of a Jeep rock crawling trail, I wasn't too concerned about the terrain.
That said, the 2 reasons I sold it were
1- we moved and the new place didn't have room for the camper
2- capable or not, I just didn't like pulling a trailer in the back country so it wasn't worth trying to make the camper work with our new place.

Having learned more about myself with the Black Series, I am now planning to purchase either (first choice) a Super Pacific if I can stand to wait a year. Or (second choice) AT Summit or Atlas. I was considering a Vagabond but I've heard nothing but bad about their customer service so they're not getting my money.

Reactions: cortttt

cortttt

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Western U.S.
First Name
cort
Last Name
Johnson
I have previously owned slide in truck campers, so this was my first pull behind. It is pretty heavy for it's size but I pulled it with a 6.7 Super Duty and the McHitch. It was a great pair. And the camper would go anywhere the truck would. Short of a Jeep rock crawling trail, I wasn't too concerned about the terrain.
That said, the 2 reasons I sold it were
1- we moved and the new place didn't have room for the camper
2- capable or not, I just didn't like pulling a trailer in the back country so it wasn't worth trying to make the camper work with our new place.

Having learned more about myself with the Black Series, I am now planning to purchase either (first choice) a Super Pacific if I can stand to wait a year. Or (second choice) AT Summit or Atlas. I was considering a Vagabond but I've heard nothing but bad about their customer service so they're not getting my money.
Thanks so much. I'm going back and forth between a trailer or camper. I need something fairly large that has a shower/bath for my partner. Glad to hear that nice diesel could pull the trailer fine through all sorts of terrain. That helps.

If you don't mind my asking what didn't agree with you pulling the trailer in the back country? I'm trying to gather as much data as possible.

Good luck on those nice tent campers :)

escadventure

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Ruidoso, NM, USA
First Name
Marty
Last Name
Howes
Service Branch
USAF vet
Thanks so much. I'm going back and forth between a trailer or camper. I need something fairly large that has a shower/bath for my partner. Glad to hear that nice diesel could pull the trailer fine through all sorts of terrain. That helps.

If you don't mind my asking what didn't agree with you pulling the trailer in the back country? I'm trying to gather as much data as possible.

Good luck on those nice tent campers :)
To be honest I never actually had a problem dragging the HQ15 in the back country. But I have been several places in Europe and western USA that I know would be very problematic with a trailer (narrow trails and mountain switchbacks). And that is what caused me some anxiety about it. So I'd just rather have a smaller setup.

cortttt

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Western U.S.
First Name
cort
Last Name
Johnson
Thanks. That's my main concern as well. Have to balance alot more storage opportunities with it vs a truck camper with potentially less access.