Sleeping setups in rig

• HTML tutorial

Explore Maine

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Hartland Maine
Member #

Those window net/shades are a life saver during these warmer months when you're sleeping in the cab! I use these with a handful of lil magnets along the bottom edge to keep out the really determined bugs:
I'm planning to improve cooling further by building a bracket that'll pinch into a partially opened window to hold a row of IP67 computer fans. If I direct them to pull from the interior on just 1 side it ought to create a nice cross flow. And they have such a low profile that I could tuck them away on the headliner & save space vs bulky battery-powered fans. I'd imagine the low current draw @12volts would integrate perfectly with a solar system.
I still need to find away to jerry rig something up to cover the front window for privacy.

Reactions: Rocky

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

I still need to find away to jerry rig something up to cover the front window for privacy.
I've had good luck using that "double bubble" foil insulation with black felt contact adhesive'd to one side. Made them a 1/2" oversize so they stay on just pressing them up to the glass & running a finger along the edges to wedge 'em in. From the outside it just looks like an extra dark tint & the reflective inside increases light inside the cab at night, not to mention all the improved insulating it adds vs glass alone. They're so thin you can roll them up & stow them outta the way wherever you like. I have one for each window, here's one side with them in place:

IMG_20170603_170725.jpg

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Thats really nice!

Did this stuff come with the black felt on the other side? Where did you get it and whats it called?
Sadly they did not. I sprayed both with 3M contact adhesive & stuck 'em together. You can pick up the bubble-foil-insulation at most home improvement stores or amazon, what I found was called Reflectix.

Reactions: Rocky and MBroenkow

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

Not a great picture but I slept in my short box bed during a road trip a year ago. I would like to improve my set up but being limited to a 5'6" box and being 5'10" tall forces a diagonal setup LOL. Still working on the concept...

Attachments

Reactions: Jimmy P

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

I've had good luck using that "double bubble" foil insulation with black felt contact adhesive'd to one side. Made them a 1/2" oversize so they stay on just pressing them up to the glass & running a finger along the edges to wedge 'em in. From the outside it just looks like an extra dark tint & the reflective inside increases light inside the cab at night, not to mention all the improved insulating it adds vs glass alone. They're so thin you can roll them up & stow them outta the way wherever you like. I have one for each window, here's one side with them in place:

View attachment 28746
Why did you add the felt around the edges? Unless I missed a comment somewhere.
Its a great idea and to have the material just press fit into the windows is extremely convenient!

Tinker

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

West Michigan
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Klemish
Member #

Why did you add the felt around the edges? Unless I missed a comment somewhere.
Its a great idea and to have the material just press fit into the windows is extremely convenient!
The felt actually covers the whole outer face of the shades & just wraps over the inner face by an inch or so. It does double duty as insulation (little bit of thermal, mostly for preventing condensation) & to make it appear as dark tint from the outside (for privacy & a bit of stealth when I'm sleeping in odd places).

Reactions: HEYElliott