Shawka

• HTML tutorial

JPZimbo

Rank 0

Contributor II

The family & I headed out to explore wadi Shawka yesterday! Yes picked a cold windy day for it but the work roster is a friend to no man!!

The starting point is off the Kalba road other side of Maleha - 7HQR32WM+WP - google map link.

The dam itself had lots of water in, and all too sadly here in the UAE far too much litter. - don't get me started on this topic!!

After the dam, head down and set off through the wadi. We drove a large portion in the wadi, however there is an easier track literally meters to the lhs of the wadi along side. The drive wasn't technical at all. Just common sense slow over some of the more rocky parts and creep over a few loose areas in the wadi itself.
The Prado is stock standard. No lift no fancy tyres etc and didn't engage LO or need central diff lock.

We took an off shoot wadi to the rhs where we pulled out the trusty Weber and braai'd some wors for lunch. Had a small hike before setting off again. - 7HQR33X7+53

All in all about 6hr round trip door to door, with a little traffic jam on the return causing about 20mins delay.

A great excursion from novice to expert level & a nice change from sand!

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

stuart.404

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Naperville, Illinois
Member #

We went this way a few weeks ago, made a wrong turn and I'm 99.9% sure we had lunch at the exact same spot you are parked it. It was the first place we found with some tree shade. I even recognise that concrete block next to the bbq that my kids were playing with!

We tried to combine Shawka and Helo and a couple of others but it wasn't the most interesting day trip in the end. I logged the route on Google Maps. Link here;

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/embed?mid=1XC6nr5rb7e67ZDnuwW_JnUC88wU

Reactions: Michael

JPZimbo

Rank 0

Contributor II

We went this way a few weeks ago, made a wrong turn and I'm 99.9% sure we had lunch at the exact same spot you are parked it. It was the first place we found with some tree shade. I even recognise that concrete block next to the bbq that my kids were playing with!

We tried to combine Shawka and Helo and a couple of others but it wasn't the most interesting day trip in the end. I logged the route on Google Maps. Link here;

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/embed?mid=1XC6nr5rb7e67ZDnuwW_JnUC88wU
Hahaha that's excellent-Recognising the concrete block! Would be nice to combine the trip with some activities - swim/quad bike ride etc. But we'll keep exploring. How old are your kids?

stuart.404

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Naperville, Illinois
Member #

I've got two boys aged 5 and 8. We drag them everywhere we go and they don't mind as long as they get to climb on some rocks!

When I'm on a new route I run an app called Gaia Pro. It logs the route and has loads of cool offline map overlays. Makes it pretty much impossible to get lost!

Reactions: Michael and JPZimbo

JPZimbo

Rank 0

Contributor II

I've got two boys aged 5 and 8. We drag them everywhere we go and they don't mind as long as they get to climb on some rocks!

When I'm on a new route I run an app called Gaia Pro. It logs the route and has loads of cool offline map overlays. Makes it pretty much impossible to get lost!
Ok I must have a look at that app. Sometimes I run MotionX in the background to map my trips. Just wondered if you could map it after the trip....no gps data just putting a line over where you've been. Old school!